Snow removal puts state $6 million in hole
A Department of Transportation plow truck treats the road way at the Interstate 93 and Interstate 293 split in Manchester on Tuesday. (DAVID LANE/UNION LEADER)
The state budgeted about $39 million for winter maintenance but expects to spend about $45 million. Last winter totaled about $32 million for "a relatively mild winter," department spokesman Bill Boynton said Tuesday.
"As always is the case, we don't know how the winters are going to play out," Boynton said, noting last month ranked as the worst month in 20 years on a winter severity index that measures the effect of weather on maintaining roads.
Before Tuesday's storm, Concord already had 72 inches of snow this winter, 17.2 inches above normal.
At the same point last year, the city saw 48.9 inches compared to a normal 54.8 inches, according to the National Weather Service.
A fleet of 310 state plow trucks and 437 hired trucks cleared 4,600 miles of state-maintained roads Tuesday. A statewide storm typically costs about $565,000 for an eight-hour shift without overtime, including staff, equipment and salt. An eight-hour overtime shift runs $609,000.
Some crews in southwest New Hampshire were called out at 10 p.m. Monday.
Last winter's budget had more than $7 million left over, with some of that money devoted to tasks such as tree trimming and guardrail work in the summer, Boynton said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mid-April freezing and flooding give Granite Staters a rude awakening - 0
- Flooding closes PSU fields, local business - 0
- Colebrook almost became an island Tuesday night - 0
- Flooding shuts down North Country highways - 0
- Flood watch and rain follow day of near-record temperatures - 0
- Lack of 'hot spell' has made for mild mud season so far in central NH - 1
- With rain on the way, flooding potential eyed - 0
- Londonderry classrooms flooded - 0
- Spring roads make the going tough - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Londonderry councilors critical of town’s economic development website - 0
- Candia teen faces more counts in connection with burglary - 0
- Suspect arrested, loot recovered 10 minutes after Derry bank robbery - 0
- Ellsbury propels Yanks over Sox - 0
- Bruins shut out Wings - 0
- Phaneuf leads Derryfield laxers past Pelham - 0
- High School Volleyball results - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Teen recruited juvenile for burglaries - 0
- Cell phones, speakers stolen in separate incidents - 0
Younger of two brothers convicted of murdering parents quietly released after 18 years in prison
Shaheen touts land conservation fund
Bruins shut out Wings
High School Volleyball results
Prepare to pay more to park in Manchester
Secret arrests? Not if we can help it
Latest Groton wind farm fight: Snow plowing