Sep 18, 2014
Sep 4, 2014
Aug 28, 2014
Aug 21, 2014
Hampton man to face single trial for alleged child porn
BRENTWOOD - Prosecutors have won permission from a judge to consolidate two trials against a 22-year-old Hampton man facing charges that he recorded a sexual encounter with a young girl and posted the video on YouTube.
Robert Stephens, who is being held at the Rockingham County jail, will go on trial for the two cases on the week of June 17, a judge decided. The latest indictments against Stephens were handed up by a Rockingham County grand jury in December. Stephens was indicted on two counts of manufacturing child sexual abuse images, and single counts of attempted aggravated felonious sexual assault, and felonious sexual assault.
Stephens allegedly met a 14-year-old Massachusetts girl at a beach last May and later recorded her having sex with a 15-year-old boy at a cottage in Hampton, prosecutors said. Prosecutors say Stephens, then 19, used a laptop camera to record the encounter, and attempted to join in.
"(He) is seen on said video to have removed his shirt and to give the camera the 'thumbs up', " Deputy County Attorney Tom Reid said in court papers.
Prosecutors say Stephens was pulled away from the girl by another person in the room.
Hampton police began investigating Stephens on Jan. 19 after a Newbury, Mass. school resource officer told them that a female student complained she found a video of herself online, according to a police affidavit.
Reid argued that the recording of the video and Stephens' attempt to have a sexual encounter with the girl were a "single criminal episode."
"The subsequent posting of the video is logically and factually connected to the other charges," Reid said in his argument.
Investigators with the Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force were able to link Stephens to the YouTube account that had control of the video, a police affidavit says.
After recording the teenage girl, Stephens continued to contact her, sending her a message through Facebook, police said. In one message he told her she should "become a prostitute" and could "sell herself" for money, the affidavit says.
He also allegedly told the girl that "he wanted money" and could facilitate more sexual encounters, the police affidavit says.
"He stated he would 'set it up' so that she could have sex for money," said Hampton Det. Chris Gilroy in a sworn affidavit. Stephens allegedly told the teenage girl "it's not that bad," police said.
Stephens told investigators that he owned the video during a police interview and said, "I know I am going to prison," according to the affidavit.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Son says shooting of mom during DEA raid was a mistake - 21
- Dalton man sentenced for assaulting inmate - 0
- Hampstead man accused of sex assaults on girl - 0
- Police say man kills daughter, 6 grandchildren in Fla. murder-suicide - 2
- 2 men arrested in Manchester SWAT raid, drug bust - 4
- 2 women sentenced in Home Depot scam - 0
- Man accused of stabbing man in Concord's White Park - 0
- Friends, co-workers mourn loss of Amherst mother and son - 5
- Vermont father, two sons facing charges for Canobie Lake Park scuffle - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Chester deputy fire chief jailed for allegedly violating restraining order - 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 1
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 1
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
- Trashed lunches: Brownies, broccoli and bucks - 7
- Hampstead's Suess ready for Whelen Modified race - 0
- College Football: Big Green kick off season vs. Cent. Connecticut - 0
Supporters eager for Hillary's return to NH
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Ayotte pushes bill to combat 'spice'
- Mass. Supreme Judicial Court has found upskirt photos taken on a subway aren't illegal. Should such voyeurism be a crime?
- Total Votes: 917