Home » News » Politics » Town Meetings
Antrim voters OK building new police station project
The $1,579,666 project would fund the construction and equipping of a new police station on an empty Main Street lot. Voters approved the project at the town meeting Thursday.
The town plans to use $300,000 from the town's undesignated fund balance for the first year's bond payment as well as furniture, equipment, services and other items that may come up during the course of the project.
Also approved in the vote Thursday night was a $1,375,000 bond. The bond required a two-thirds majority to pass, which it did 173-40. The new building should be up and running by early next year.
The new police station would address several issues. The current station in Town Hall is cramped, is not compliant with the fire code, nor is it ADA complaint.
The main lobby, where people walk in to report crimes or ask for directions, is also where people under arrest are held by handcuff to a bench.
The lobby is also where the sergeant, patrol officers and police secretary work.
The new station will have a separate lobby and reception rooms, as well as several other rooms, including two holding cell and an area for temporary holding.
The current police chief's office is the only room available for private police interviews. The new building would include an interview room as well as a sergeant's office, evidence processing and evidence room, armory, records storage, men's and women's locker rooms, a squad room, prosecutor's office and booking area.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Frank Jones' foray into ale-making in Portsmouth is a success - 0
- Sherborne takes Manchester city golf crown - 0
- DWI License Revocations - 0
- Motorcyclist, passenger seriously hurt in Derry crash - 0
- I-93 driver clocked at 120 mph, charged with transporting drugs - 0
- Marine Patrol called to multiple crashes - 0
- Motorcyclist suffers minor injuries in Saturday crash in Laconia - 0
- 18-year-old located with mother, brother on Mount Monadnock - 0
- Executive Council to consider raising dollar threshold for contracts - 0
DWI License Revocations
Two killed in North Hampton plane crash
'Gronk' gets OK for Pats' opener
Amnesty? Garcia is against it