Home » News » Politics » Town Meetings
Antrim voters OK building new police station project
The $1,579,666 project would fund the construction and equipping of a new police station on an empty Main Street lot. Voters approved the project at the town meeting Thursday.
The town plans to use $300,000 from the town's undesignated fund balance for the first year's bond payment as well as furniture, equipment, services and other items that may come up during the course of the project.
Also approved in the vote Thursday night was a $1,375,000 bond. The bond required a two-thirds majority to pass, which it did 173-40. The new building should be up and running by early next year.
The new police station would address several issues. The current station in Town Hall is cramped, is not compliant with the fire code, nor is it ADA complaint.
The main lobby, where people walk in to report crimes or ask for directions, is also where people under arrest are held by handcuff to a bench.
The lobby is also where the sergeant, patrol officers and police secretary work.
The new station will have a separate lobby and reception rooms, as well as several other rooms, including two holding cell and an area for temporary holding.
The current police chief's office is the only room available for private police interviews. The new building would include an interview room as well as a sergeant's office, evidence processing and evidence room, armory, records storage, men's and women's locker rooms, a squad room, prosecutor's office and booking area.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Shaheen, Brown supporters gather at final debate - 1
- Senate candidates sharply divided on Islamic threat, Ebola, Obamacare - 12
- Stocks up on GDP, earnings - 0
- Rocket blast damps Orbital as commercial space rush lures rivals - 0
- Former Farmington fire chief waives arraignment on theft charges - 0
- $50k bail for two charged with beating pizza delivery man - 0
- Latest round of riot arrests includes 5 Keene State students - 0
- 2 Manchester health service groups announce merger - 0
- FinneRageTV uses Keene for promotion - 0
Trump fired up over NH mailer
School's out for voters