In snow, many work from home
5 a.m. snow day calls not welcome by everyone
Thanks to the Internet, social media and technology, employers are becoming more comfortable with letting their employees stay home and wrestle with a keyboard and video hookup, rather than brave slippery roads to get to work on time.
At Dyn, a Millyard-based Internet services company, employees have the option of working from home or taking a personal day whenever Manchester schools close, said Michael Taylor, community outreach coordinator for the company.
"This is an incredibly valuable policy for our employees, especially ones with young families and kids whose schools were likely impacted by the weather too," he said.
Stephanie Lewry, director of Intown Manchester, said downtown parking garages were nearly empty Tuesday, an indication that many companies tell their workers not to come in.
"This is an absolute huge change between now and 10 years ago when we had a snow storm," she said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Powerful storm wreaks havoc in Portsmouth - 0
- Weather Service warns of severe thunderstorms in southern NH - 0
- Heavy rain could bring flooding in areas of NH - 1
- Rain, wind and snow: Epping clan reports it all - 0
- Tropical Storm Andrea forms - 0
- North Country gets back on track after wild weather - 0
- Powerful storms bring damage to Grafton County - 0
- At least 9 dead in new Oklahoma storms - 0
- Mother and baby killed as tornadoes menace Oklahoma City - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATED: Senate mum on House proposal for special session on Medicare - 3
- Recent 'Fugitive of the Week' Michelle Smith captured in Nashua - 0
- UPDATED: Senate, House negotiators mull compromise plan to narrowly align state insurance rules with 'Obamacare' - 1
- UPDATED: Apology issued for naming of Boston bomber as a victim of gun violence at Concord rally - 20
- UPDATE: Salem student receives minor injuries in bus crash - 0
- 21 in Concord wake to find their tires slashed - 0
- NH man to be tried in $13 million mortgage fraud scheme - 0
- UPDATE: Elderly Nashua couple were stabbed to death - 12
- UPDATE: Police say man found dead outside Wall Street Towers jumped - 5
UPDATED: Apology issued for naming of Boston bomber as a victim of gun violence at Concord rally
Tax credit math: Who owns your money?
Drones and privacy: Debate just taking off