Snow buries Derry budget
The public works budget comprises four major line items for snow and ice removal, according to Public Works Director Mike Fowler.
Before the latest storm, the town had spent more than budgeted for the DPW employee overtime and contractor plowing line items, but was under budget for materials and diesel fuel, according to Fowler.
Overall, the town had $548,274 budgeted for snow and ice removal for fiscal year 2013 and has spent $594,573.
"The current storm will likely add another $50,000 by the time it is completed, but those invoices will not be processed for a few weeks," said Fowler. "The town makes an attempt to budget responsibly for an average winter. Traditionally, the snow and ice budget has been around $600,000, but the budget for fiscal year 2013 was reduced by approximately $50,000 recognizing that we had a healthy stock of salt in our shed to start the season."
Once the final numbers are in, Fowler said he will review the bottom line budget of all the DPW divisions.
"The first place we look to cover the overage in the snow and ice line would be from other line items within the DPW budget, which may include postponing a roadway paving job until the following fiscal year," he said. "Beyond those measures, we could ask the Town Council to use funds from a dedicated snow and ice reserve fund established for those purposes."
The current balance in that account is just over $100,000, Fowler said.
There is also a chance FEMA could reimburse 75 percent of the costs from winter storm Nemo in early February.
"We have provided preliminary information to FEMA," he said. "If a disaster is declared for winter storm Nemo, Derry stands to recover between $90,000 and $110,000.
Fowler said he is confident the department will be able to balance the bottom line once the final invoices have arrived.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATED: Flood warning issued for southern NH; leaks force visitation to be cancelled at Goffstown women's prison - 2
- Summit of Mount Washington white with rime ice, snow to follow soon - 0
- Storms in Meredith cause outages - 0
- USGS reports minor earthquake just outside of Concord - 0
- Quake strikes northeast of Tokyo, no reports of serious damage - 0
- Hollis storm damage caused by microburst, not tornado - 0
- 6.0 earthquake strikes California wine country - 0
- Heavy rain saturates NH in a matter of two hours - 1
- Flash flood warning issued for Southern New Hampshire - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- School's out for voters - 0
- Kuster's abortion lies: Claims against Garcia are untrue - 6
- Brown, Shaheen run hardest where support is deepest - 0
- Jonathan E. Benedict - 0
- Drew Cline: GOP missed opportunities could mean trouble on Tuesday - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Demaryius Thomas is x-factor for Broncos' offense - 0
- College Football: Big Green ready for tussle with Harvard - 0
- UNH Notebook: Albany is much improved - 0
- MVP Bumgarner rides to the rescue for Giants' third World Series win in five years - 0
Trump fired up over NH mailer