North Country hopes snow extends winter season
5 a.m. snow day calls not welcome by everyone
"We're thrilled," Jackson Ski Touring Foundation employee Raetha Stoddard said Tuesday afternoon, noting the new snow will make the skiing "delicious."
Inside the Jackson center, Adrian Rawn of Portsmouth said: "You have to enjoy it, right?"
Rawn said she was in the Mount Washington Valley on business, but took time out to go snowshoeing. "We'll take it, one last hurrah."
Farther north, Keith Landry, director of the Pittsburg Ridge Runners Snowmobile Club, noted that 90 percent of the 2013 trail network is open, though inlets to First Connecticut Lake and Lake Francis have begun to open up.
"Hopefully Mother Nature gives us some snow from this round so we can extend the spring riding season," Landry wrote on the club's website.
The folks at Bretton Woods ski area declared spring officially on hold, adding an enthusiastic "Woo Hoo!" to the ski resort's Facebook posting.
The bears at Clark's Trading Post recently woke up and had their first meals of the year.
That's a reminder to homeowners everywhere that bears wake up very hungry, and those bird feeders are like fast food outlets to them. New Hampshire Fish and Game recommends residents take down the birdfeeders by April 1.
The thinning of the ice as far north as Pittsburg is a reminder, too, that's it's just about time to get those bob houses off the ice.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Powerful storm wreaks havoc in Portsmouth - 0
- Weather Service warns of severe thunderstorms in southern NH - 0
- Heavy rain could bring flooding in areas of NH - 1
- Rain, wind and snow: Epping clan reports it all - 0
- Tropical Storm Andrea forms - 0
- North Country gets back on track after wild weather - 0
- Powerful storms bring damage to Grafton County - 0
- At least 9 dead in new Oklahoma storms - 0
- Mother and baby killed as tornadoes menace Oklahoma City - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pearl Street lot proposal involves student housing in Manchester - 0
- Manchester VFW posts fights to survive without poker cash - 0
- Surveillance led NSA to 50 terror 'events' - 0
- One arrested as Concord gun-control rally gets rowdy - 12
- Celtics, Clippers call off Doc deal - 0
- High school football is in the air as CHad practice opens - 0
- Agencies to offer summer food service to Derry children in need - 0
- Londonderry emergency shelter will now be open to pets - 0
- Derry school district continues to push its high-achieving students - 0
Gomes walkoff homer lifts Red Sox
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
Nashua couple's deaths called suspicious
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time