North Country hopes snow extends winter season
"We're thrilled," Jackson Ski Touring Foundation employee Raetha Stoddard said Tuesday afternoon, noting the new snow will make the skiing "delicious."
Inside the Jackson center, Adrian Rawn of Portsmouth said: "You have to enjoy it, right?"
Rawn said she was in the Mount Washington Valley on business, but took time out to go snowshoeing. "We'll take it, one last hurrah."
Farther north, Keith Landry, director of the Pittsburg Ridge Runners Snowmobile Club, noted that 90 percent of the 2013 trail network is open, though inlets to First Connecticut Lake and Lake Francis have begun to open up.
"Hopefully Mother Nature gives us some snow from this round so we can extend the spring riding season," Landry wrote on the club's website.
The folks at Bretton Woods ski area declared spring officially on hold, adding an enthusiastic "Woo Hoo!" to the ski resort's Facebook posting.
The bears at Clark's Trading Post recently woke up and had their first meals of the year.
That's a reminder to homeowners everywhere that bears wake up very hungry, and those bird feeders are like fast food outlets to them. New Hampshire Fish and Game recommends residents take down the birdfeeders by April 1.
The thinning of the ice as far north as Pittsburg is a reminder, too, that's it's just about time to get those bob houses off the ice.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Residents in western N.Y. call snow worst in memory - 0
- Slick commute in store for some NH motorists today - 1
- Windy weather whips across New Hampshire - 0
- Leaks fixed, visits resume at Goffstown women's prison - 0
- Storm brings heavy rain, flooding to southern NH - 0
- UPDATED: Flood warning issued for southern NH; leaks force visitation to be cancelled at Goffstown women's prison - 2
- Summit of Mount Washington white with rime ice, snow to follow soon - 0
- Storms in Meredith cause outages - 0
- USGS reports minor earthquake just outside of Concord - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl will go as scheduled - 0
- Red Sox think they got free agent signings right this time - 0
- Turkey Bowls: Passion always on the menu - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl: Crusaders aim to rewrite history - 0
- Dave Solomon's Power Plays: Who knew what and when in PSNH scrubber case? - 0
- Story of Marine Memorial at Hampton Beach begins with Bill Downs - 0
- Immigrants include ethnic dishes at their Thanksgiving table - 0
- Puritans in America: Daniel Webster on religion's role - 0
- Mitt Romney is out front, but says he's not running again - 0
Person found dead in Manchester alley
On being American: A point for reflection
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket