Home » Opinion » Editorials
Expanding Medicaid: Congress will keep its word!
Under Obamacare, states initially were forced to expand Medicaid eligibility to families earning as much as 133 percent of the federal poverty level. The Supreme Court struck down the mandate as unconstitutional, so the expansion is up to each state.
A majority of the House Health, Human Services and Elderly Affairs Committee concluded that expansion "would be a vehicle for bringing hundreds of millions of federal dollars into the state." It said also that the "Medicaid expansion and its federal financing/matching rate are enshrined in federal law. Changing either of these federal government obligations would require an Act of Congress."
Goodness, an act of Congress! Why, Congress's word is as good as... as.... hey, wait a second.
If your best argument is that Congress will keep its word, then you don't have an argument. No one - literally, to use a Bidenism - believes that Washington will enshrine into permanency a subsidy it already cannot afford to fund. The argument mocks itself. Those making it have let themselves become tools of the administration's propaganda machine. They are undermining New Hampshire's future fiscal stability for the sake of advancing the Obama administration's political goals. They should be stopped. Passing House Bill 271, to prohibit the state's expansion of Medicaid, would do that, for now. It's too bad the House hasn't the will to do it.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- George Will: Real bribery at the voting booth - 0
- Charles Krauthammer: The jihadi logic - 0
- Rep. Stephen Shurtleff: What NH can accomplish when we cooperate in Concord - 2
- Brian Bouchard's NH Legal Perspective: Cloudy with a chance of trade secret forfeiture - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 1
- John Stossel: Making legal immigration easier would help America - 2
- Deroy Murdock: Hillary's Benghazi-Whitewater connection? - 6
- George Will: Obama needs Congress to approve this war - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Obama is rushing into war against Islamic State - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Not your standard victory - 0
- Diane Foley is a lady of extraordinary elegance - 0
- Mayor's police contract veto may face override in Nashua - 0
- Havenstein to unveil 'Pledge 2.0' today, saying, 'I won't spend money we don't have' - 1
- Motivation Matters: Hey, boss! How am I doing? - 0
- Big Idea Group a startup breeding ground - 0
- North Country summit to highlight job creation - 0
- Food stamp loophole not a go in NH - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Everett Pollard: Mount Sunapee's master plan will benefit whole region - 0
7 hikers rescued from Pawtuckaway
Foreclosure relief clinic Oct. 1 in Derry
Food stamp loophole not a go in NH
NH's future: Dean Kamen highlights a problem