Home » Opinion » Editorials
Expanding Medicaid: Congress will keep its word!
Under Obamacare, states initially were forced to expand Medicaid eligibility to families earning as much as 133 percent of the federal poverty level. The Supreme Court struck down the mandate as unconstitutional, so the expansion is up to each state.
A majority of the House Health, Human Services and Elderly Affairs Committee concluded that expansion "would be a vehicle for bringing hundreds of millions of federal dollars into the state." It said also that the "Medicaid expansion and its federal financing/matching rate are enshrined in federal law. Changing either of these federal government obligations would require an Act of Congress."
Goodness, an act of Congress! Why, Congress's word is as good as... as.... hey, wait a second.
If your best argument is that Congress will keep its word, then you don't have an argument. No one - literally, to use a Bidenism - believes that Washington will enshrine into permanency a subsidy it already cannot afford to fund. The argument mocks itself. Those making it have let themselves become tools of the administration's propaganda machine. They are undermining New Hampshire's future fiscal stability for the sake of advancing the Obama administration's political goals. They should be stopped. Passing House Bill 271, to prohibit the state's expansion of Medicaid, would do that, for now. It's too bad the House hasn't the will to do it.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 12
- Praising freedom: While curtailing it - 16
- Fergus Cullen: No politics buffer zone - some want issue unsettled - 7
- The perfect winner: Mrs. Craig gives when she receives - 0
- A sacred rite denied: Partial justice in Marriott murder - 0
- Casino tax breaks: Bad news for Gov. Hassan - 4
- A medal well earned: Ryan M. Pitts is a hero - 3
- Treat them better: Bad medicine for veterans, military - 14
- Editorial: USNH’s freeze a good start - 3
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Speeding stop leads to drug and alcohol charges in Hollis - 0
- Allen Lessels on Motor Sports: Youngsters eye NHMS - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester's bike culture shifts into high gear - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Red Sox makeover underway - 1
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: MacDonald has NHMS track experience - 0
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 7
- Anthony M. Kay - 0
- Walsh paces Sweeney Post past Laconia - 0
132-mph street racers blow by trooper in Nashua, one of two arrested; motorcyclist arrested on I-93 doing 107 mph
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Mount Washington College to close 2 campuses
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax
Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release
Ayotte calls again for FCC reform