Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Sep 18, 2014
Man accused of sex assault, child porn challenges search
Public defenders for Gary Britton, 68, argued in court on Thursday that they should be able to again challenge a search by Chester police because new charges were brought against their client last month.
Judge N. William Delker said his decision concluding that Chester police had a legal right to seize the handgun found at Britton's apartment in September 2011 hours after he was evicted will also apply to his future trials.
Public defender Julia Nye argued on Thursday that Britton has a constitutional right to challenge the validity of the search warrant again because the first court filing focused on the seizure of the gun.
The sexual assault and child pornography charges could essentially result in Britton spending the rest of his life behind bars if he is convicted by jury.
"The seriousness of the case is vastly different than the possession of a weapon (charge)," Nye said.
Chester police appeared in court ready to testify in case Delker sided with the defense. Assistant County Attorney Brad Bolton argued that there was no factual difference to be challenged among the cases.
"If we were to have a hearing today, the testimony would be exactly the same from the police officers and the landlord," Bolton said.
Britton, convicted of aggravated felonious sexual assault in 1983, has been in jail more than a year and a half as charges against him continue to stack up. He was arrested on Sept. 22, 2011, for failure to register as a sex offender. As he was being charged in that case, he was evicted from his apartment, prompting his landlords to go through his belongings and a home computer.
One of his landlords stumbled upon a collection of child pornography and promptly called police, according to court testimony.
Chester Police Chief William Burke, who appeared in court on Thursday, found the handgun above a mirror dresser sealed in a plastic bag. Nye had challenged whether police could seize the gun because they had initially responded to the discovery of child pornography.
An examination of the computer yielded information about the sexual assault that dated back to 1991, along with the child pornography collection, according to prosecutors.
In all, Britton faces two counts of aggravated felonious sexual assault and two counts of felonious sexual assault, and 15 counts of possession of child sexual abuse images. Police say the sexual assaults occurred between 1991 and 1995, beginning when the girl was age 9.
He is scheduled for trial the week of April 1.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bedford police investigating burglary at Verizon Wireless store - 0
- Police: Manchester man charged with endangering child after going 101 mph - 0
- Man faces robbery, assault charges after extradition from NY - 0
- Driver overdosing on heroin causes crash - 0
- Hill sex offender arrested for 2012 arson of own home in Northfield - 0
- Deliberations begin in trial of former Derry man accused of sex assault - 0
- Mazzaglia pleads guilty to devising escape plan - 0
- Manchester pair arrested for fighting in Merrimack parking lot - 0
- Nashua man who was shot by officer sentenced to 5-10 years - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John Habib's City Sports: St. Thomas coach: I owe Central - 0
- Armed burglar from Derry sentenced to prison - 0
- FairPoint customer concerned about blocked emails - 0
- Plaistow narrows field in search for its new police chief - 0
- Hershey Bears shut out Monarchs - 0
- NHIAA Football: Bedford used pick-six to beat Central - 0
- NHIAA Football: Bishop Guertin completes miracle, makes playoffs with win over Nashua South - 0
- NHIAA Football Roundup: Souhegan closes out season with a win - 0
- NHIAA Football: Londonderry edges Salem in wild finish - 0
Hockey brought them together; Hooksett ice rink will serve as NH couple's 'church' for wedding
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483