Dec 4, 2014
Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Bail mulled for man awaiting new trial in sex assault case
Leonard Aldrich, 64, of Hampton asked a judge to free him on a lower bail as he awaits trial on sexual assault charges. Aldrich is accused of sexually abusing three children. (JAMES A. KIMBLE/FILE PHOTO)
He is accused of sexually assaulting two young girls and a boy, now age 7, between December 2010 and January 2012. Defense lawyer Patrick Fleming said arrangements have been made through Aldrich's family that he could live in a Hampton home and abide by conditions that he have no contact with victims or witnesses in the case.
Fleming said his client can't afford to post the $20,000 cash bail.
Assistant County Attorney Stephanie Johnson argued for keeping Aldrich jailed, citing concerns that the county had no way to supervise him.
"The nature of the charges is quite serious," she said. "The main issue is supervision."
Judge Marguerite Wageling said she would take the arguments under advisement.
Wageling declared a mistrial during the second day of Aldrich's trial when it was revealed the defense did not have access to all documents from the state's Division of Children, Youth and Families concerning the alleged abuse.
Aldrich has been held at the Rockingham County jail since his arrest more than a year ago. Fleming said his client would agree to nearly any bail condition so long as he was freed from county jail, including reporting regularly to the Hampton Police Department.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Police look for Laconia sub shop robber - 0
- Claremont man indicted on two charges of arson - 0
- Police hunt pair they believe attacked couple at Rochester motel - 0
- Phone evidence likely allowed in Hampstead home invasion trial - 0
- Grand jury indicts one of three men accused in murder of Madbury teen - 0
- Piano teacher wants statement tossed before sex assault trial - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: The fiscal mismanagement in Washington is a choice - 25
- 'Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus' - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483