Home » Opinion » Editorials
That's a budget? A joke from the U.S. Senate
Senate Budget Committee Chairman Patty Murray, D-Wash., finally introduced a budget last week. The Hill, a Capitol Hill newspaper, offered some good coverage. "The first budget from Senate Democrats in four years includes nearly $1 trillion in new taxes but would not balance the budget," the paper reported.
Real Clear Politics reported that "(Rep. Paul) Ryan plans to erase the deficit in a decade through structural changes to Medicare and cuts to Medicaid spending, while Murray plans to tame - though not balance - it over the same time span through a combination of tax increases and spending reductions."
The Washington Post's editorial page wrote of the Senate budget: "Partisan in tone and complacent in substance, it scores points against the Republicans and reassures the party's liberal base - but deepens these senators' commitment to an unsustainable policy agenda."
The Post went on: "In short, this document gives voters no reason to believe that Democrats have a viable plan for - or even a responsible public assessment of - the country's long-term fiscal predicament."
After illegally refusing to produce a budget for four years, Senate Democrats finally offer one and it is an unbalanced joke. But look, Republicans are trying to reach out to young voters, LOL, OMG!!
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Another View - Charles Lane: Obama's wedge issue is the seductive lure of golf - 2
- Jonah Goldberg: If the Islamic State is not evil, then what is? - 4
- George Will: Will we build the Navy we need? - 1
- Betsy McCaughey: Congress should take the lead on Iraq - 2
- Another View - Rick Santorum: When Israel needs our help, we have to be there - 0
- Thomas Sowell: Liberal urban police policies won't quell riots - 0
- Another View -- Frank Guinta: I am uniquely qualified to represent NH in Congress - 12
- Deroy Murdock: The indictment of Rick Perry is bizarre and unfounded - 0
- Another View - Marc Champion: A strong terror policy would cure Obama's golf woes - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree - 0
- Hanover boys soccer edges defense-minded BG - 0
- NH Fisher Cats, Pierre stun Rock Cats in 4-3 win - 0
- Helping hands for new St. Anselm students in Manchester on move in day - 0
- To market, to market: Market Basket shoppers flock on in - 0
- Nashua Market Basket employee: 'Worth every day of work lost' - 0
- NH teen killers to get sentence reviews after state Supreme Court decision - 0
- Manchester raid came 8 months after home invasion - 0
- NH killer in 1991 Smart trial seeks time with wife - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test