Home » Opinion » Editorials
That's a budget? A joke from the U.S. Senate
Senate Budget Committee Chairman Patty Murray, D-Wash., finally introduced a budget last week. The Hill, a Capitol Hill newspaper, offered some good coverage. "The first budget from Senate Democrats in four years includes nearly $1 trillion in new taxes but would not balance the budget," the paper reported.
Real Clear Politics reported that "(Rep. Paul) Ryan plans to erase the deficit in a decade through structural changes to Medicare and cuts to Medicaid spending, while Murray plans to tame - though not balance - it over the same time span through a combination of tax increases and spending reductions."
The Washington Post's editorial page wrote of the Senate budget: "Partisan in tone and complacent in substance, it scores points against the Republicans and reassures the party's liberal base - but deepens these senators' commitment to an unsustainable policy agenda."
The Post went on: "In short, this document gives voters no reason to believe that Democrats have a viable plan for - or even a responsible public assessment of - the country's long-term fiscal predicament."
After illegally refusing to produce a budget for four years, Senate Democrats finally offer one and it is an unbalanced joke. But look, Republicans are trying to reach out to young voters, LOL, OMG!!
READER COMMENTS: 0
- David Harsanyi : What the Pope gets wrong about capitalism - 4
- Bob Witkop: Obama is not the only one to blame for Obamacare - 27
- Jonah Goldberg: Coming to grips with the rise of the machines - 4
- George Will: The choices we have on Iran - 0
- Roger Simon: We should not be in Afghanistan next year - 3
- Charles Krauthammer: America in retreat, allies abandoned - 0
- Charles Lane: A Social Security fix that fixes nothing - 26
- Fergus Cullen: Baines and Bramante modernize education for the iTunes era - 2
- John Stossel: Want to give back? Start a business - 9
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATE: 3 teens taken into custody for Laconia boys and girls club damage - 0
- Driver killed in head-on collision in Columbia - 0
- Exeter drug sweep nets four - 1
- UNH's logo: Hip ... for now - 0
- Hollis teen dies in crash on turnpike ramp - 0
- Woman suffers hip injury while fleeing Campton blaze - 0
- Bears sink Cowboys in frigid battle - 0
- Town's Visiting Nurse Service to get new lease on life in 2014 - 0
- Volunteers sought for discipline committees - 0
Hollis teen dies in crash on turnpike ramp
Wreaths Across America get big send-off
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice