Home » Opinion » Editorials
That's a budget? A joke from the U.S. Senate
Senate Budget Committee Chairman Patty Murray, D-Wash., finally introduced a budget last week. The Hill, a Capitol Hill newspaper, offered some good coverage. "The first budget from Senate Democrats in four years includes nearly $1 trillion in new taxes but would not balance the budget," the paper reported.
Real Clear Politics reported that "(Rep. Paul) Ryan plans to erase the deficit in a decade through structural changes to Medicare and cuts to Medicaid spending, while Murray plans to tame - though not balance - it over the same time span through a combination of tax increases and spending reductions."
The Washington Post's editorial page wrote of the Senate budget: "Partisan in tone and complacent in substance, it scores points against the Republicans and reassures the party's liberal base - but deepens these senators' commitment to an unsustainable policy agenda."
The Post went on: "In short, this document gives voters no reason to believe that Democrats have a viable plan for - or even a responsible public assessment of - the country's long-term fiscal predicament."
After illegally refusing to produce a budget for four years, Senate Democrats finally offer one and it is an unbalanced joke. But look, Republicans are trying to reach out to young voters, LOL, OMG!!
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Indoor track results - 0
- Central-Trinity: It's time - 2
- Trinity, BG skaters open with victories - 0
- Central vs. Trinity: 'competition, not warfare' - 5
- NHIAA preview: Boys' ice hockey races appear to be wide open - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Windham boys prevail in hoop opener - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball Preview: Top dogs still have lots of bite - 1
- NHIAA Roundup: Bow's balance too much for Kearsarge - 0
- Rich won’t return to coach Londonderry football - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- Stretch of I-293 North and South closed after propane tank crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 0
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan