Holy Week marks coming of Easter
The public is invited to all ceremonies, which will be held at the cathedral, corner of Pine and Lowell streets.
Holy Week begins Palm Sunday with a 10:30 a.m. Mass.
The bishop will bless the oils used in the sacraments during the Chrism Mass at 6 p.m., Tuesday. Priests also will renew their vows at this Mass.
At 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Monsignor Anthony R. Frontiero will celebrate the office of Tenebrae, which means "shadows." The service includes scripture readings and progressive extinguishing of 15 candles to evoke the coming death of Christ.
Holy Thursday observances begin at 7 p.m. with the Mass of the Lord's Supper. The Mass commemorates the institution of the priesthood and the Holy Eucharist.
Good Friday services begin at 3 p.m. with the commemoration of the Lord's Passion.
The Easter Vigil Mass will be celebrated at 8 p.m. on Holy Saturday.
The bishop will celebrate Easter Sunday Mass at 10:30 a.m.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vin Sylvia: Making the case for Carpenter - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Newly retired Chris Carpenter planning to move back to NH - 0
- Gomes hopes Red Sox retain all their free agents - 0
- Carpenter lauded as one of Cardinals' all-time greats - 1
- Amherst's Huntington runner-up to Cherington - 0
- Cherington garners Executive of the Year - 0
- Red Sox extend offers to Elsbury, Napoli and Drew - 0
- Dave D'Donofrio's Sox Beat: Redemption Sox - 0
- Triumphant Boston celebrates Series in grand style - 0
READER COMMENTS: 6
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 0
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 0
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 2
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 0
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 0
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released
- Are Concord school officials right to ban a parent from praying outside high school each morning?
- Total Votes: 466