Home » Opinion » Editorials
Maple Weekend: A glorious NH treat
If you have experienced Maple Weekend, you know the abundance of sensory pleasures it offers. If you have not, then you have deprived yourself of one of the great treats of life in the Granite State.
The world is full of modern indulgences. There are jaccuzi tubs, IMAX movies, elegant dinners, luxury cars. For children there are dazzling video games and magical concoctions of corn syrup and chemical flavorings. And yet there is a unique charm in the mix of sensations discovered when standing in the snow on a brisk March morning as the wind gently blows, dipping a cider doughnut into a cup of warm, fresh maple syrup, and taking in the beauty of this still rural state.
Though Maple Weekend is a tourist draw, it is a mistake to think of it as an event for flatlanders from out of state. This is a tradition for Granite Staters to cherish. These sugar producers are our friends and neighbors. The traditions they uphold are our traditions. They should be passed down to our children, not left for strangers to enjoy.
This weekend, 110 New Hampshire sugar shacks are offering syrup samples and boiling demonstrations. Some are offering sugar on snow, some pancakes, some cider doughnuts, some hot dogs boiled in syrup, some horse-drawn wagon or sleigh rides. No matter where in this great state you live, there is an operational sugar shack a short drive away. And this weekend it probably will be open, serving sweet treats to whomever wanders in. How can you resist?
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Amnesty? Garcia is against it - 84
- Newt's silence: Hemingway's missing endorsement - 7
- Who scares Shaheen? She wants to stop Scott Brown - 2
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 8
- Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test - 1
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 76
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 3
- Wheeler in Dist. 5: A GOP fighter for the little guy - 4
- GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help - 12
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Know the Law: Know your rights when dealing with debt collectors - 0
- Ask SCORE: Getting help with routine chores allows owners to focus on critical issues - 0
- Another View - Richard Ober: We have to act now to stop the decline in NH's future prospects - 0
- Another View: Gordon Humphrey -- Rubens will bring principled, courageous leadership to Senate - 0
- Firefly dress could set the world on fire - 0
- As school year starts, talk of new testing begins in Manchester - 0
- Wildcats focus on positives following opening loss - 0
- NHIAA Field Hockey Preview: Exeter, Pinkerton girls thinking big - 0
- Frank Jones' foray into ale-making in Portsmouth is a success - 0
Two killed in North Hampton plane crash
DWI License Revocations
Sherborne takes Manchester city golf crown