Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
No Garnett, no Lee, no win for Celtics
Zach Randolph came off the bench due to an internal matter and collected 15 points and 11 rebounds and Mike Conley contributed 12 points and 10 assists for the Grizzlies, who were without center Marc Gasol (abdominal tear).
Paul Pierce scored 26 points and Jordan Crawford chipped in 21 as the Celtics suffered their fourth straight loss. Boston was without starters Kevin Garnett (left foot) and Courtney Lee (left ankle), who were both injured in Friday's setback at Dallas.
Conley's three-point play with 7:16 left gave Memphis its biggest lead of the night at 98-77 before the Boston reserves made things interesting. Crawford scored 12 points as the Celtics chopped it to 104-102 with 18 seconds left but the Grizzlies clinched it at the free-throw line.
Bayless hit a pair of 3-pointers during a 16-4 run in the second quarter that gave Memphis a 43-38 lead. The Grizzlies stretched it out to 61-51 at the break and led by as many as 17 points in the third quarter.
Notebook: Garnett and Lee will have MRI exams when the team gets back to Boston Sunday. ... Boston's lead over the eighth-place Milwaukee Bucks in the East slipped to 1½ games. ... Gasol aggravated a previous abdominal injury and has been ruled out indefinitely.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- David Harsanyi : What the Pope gets wrong about capitalism - 5
- Bob Witkop: Obama is not the only one to blame for Obamacare - 27
- Jonah Goldberg: Coming to grips with the rise of the machines - 5
- George Will: The choices we have on Iran - 0
- Roger Simon: We should not be in Afghanistan next year - 3
- Charles Krauthammer: America in retreat, allies abandoned - 0
- Charles Lane: A Social Security fix that fixes nothing - 26
- Fergus Cullen: Baines and Bramante modernize education for the iTunes era - 2
- John Stossel: Want to give back? Start a business - 9
- Exeter drug sweep nets four - 0
- UPDATE: Convicted sex offender turns himself in - 0
- UPDATE: 3 teens taken into custody for Laconia boys and girls club damage - 0
- Driver killed in head-on collision in Columbia - 0
- Exeter drug sweep nets four - 1
- UNH's logo: Hip ... for now - 0
- Hollis teen dies in crash on turnpike ramp - 0
- Woman suffers hip injury while fleeing Campton blaze - 0
- Bears sink Cowboys in frigid battle - 0
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Key NH Dems attend Lantos Foundation event honoring Clinton, White House partiesREADER COMMENTS: 0
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Hollis teen dies in crash on turnpike ramp
Wreaths Across America get big send-off
Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice