Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
No Garnett, no Lee, no win for Celtics
Zach Randolph came off the bench due to an internal matter and collected 15 points and 11 rebounds and Mike Conley contributed 12 points and 10 assists for the Grizzlies, who were without center Marc Gasol (abdominal tear).
Paul Pierce scored 26 points and Jordan Crawford chipped in 21 as the Celtics suffered their fourth straight loss. Boston was without starters Kevin Garnett (left foot) and Courtney Lee (left ankle), who were both injured in Friday's setback at Dallas.
Conley's three-point play with 7:16 left gave Memphis its biggest lead of the night at 98-77 before the Boston reserves made things interesting. Crawford scored 12 points as the Celtics chopped it to 104-102 with 18 seconds left but the Grizzlies clinched it at the free-throw line.
Bayless hit a pair of 3-pointers during a 16-4 run in the second quarter that gave Memphis a 43-38 lead. The Grizzlies stretched it out to 61-51 at the break and led by as many as 17 points in the third quarter.
Notebook: Garnett and Lee will have MRI exams when the team gets back to Boston Sunday. ... Boston's lead over the eighth-place Milwaukee Bucks in the East slipped to 1½ games. ... Gasol aggravated a previous abdominal injury and has been ruled out indefinitely.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- H.S. Football: Knight leads South past North - 0
- H.S. Football: Trinity, with all the trimmings, runs past Central - 3
- Unchained following 34 years, Thursday's Turkey Bowl is Paul Boucher's last game - 1
- Roger Brown's First & 10: Motivation aplenty for Central and Trinity in Manchester's annual Turkey Bowl - 3
- Martinez, Rodriguez lift Salem past Lawrence - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: On any given Thursday - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: Crimson glide - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: This year, No. 1 is a no-doubter - 1
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Concord proves it's the state's best - 1
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Police: Body found in Portsmouth creek not missing UNH student - 0
- Convicted drug dealer arrested in Nashua on more drug charges - 0
- Former Plaistow finance director charged with theft - 0
- Police: Laconia man threatened harm to toddler - 0
- Hooksett officer struck by motorist - 2
- UPDATE: Thornton woman dies after being struck by car in Campton - 0
- Sen. Ayotte pushes for bigger broadband bang for buck - 0
- Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden - 1
- Hanover’s Grabill named top regional soccer coach - 0
Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden
Ex-Tyco CEO granted parole
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown cites NH as example of Obamacare 'trainwreck,' will keynote NHGOP event
Thomas Sowell: Victimhood and race