Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
No Garnett, no Lee, no win for Celtics
Zach Randolph came off the bench due to an internal matter and collected 15 points and 11 rebounds and Mike Conley contributed 12 points and 10 assists for the Grizzlies, who were without center Marc Gasol (abdominal tear).
Paul Pierce scored 26 points and Jordan Crawford chipped in 21 as the Celtics suffered their fourth straight loss. Boston was without starters Kevin Garnett (left foot) and Courtney Lee (left ankle), who were both injured in Friday's setback at Dallas.
Conley's three-point play with 7:16 left gave Memphis its biggest lead of the night at 98-77 before the Boston reserves made things interesting. Crawford scored 12 points as the Celtics chopped it to 104-102 with 18 seconds left but the Grizzlies clinched it at the free-throw line.
Bayless hit a pair of 3-pointers during a 16-4 run in the second quarter that gave Memphis a 43-38 lead. The Grizzlies stretched it out to 61-51 at the break and led by as many as 17 points in the third quarter.
Notebook: Garnett and Lee will have MRI exams when the team gets back to Boston Sunday. ... Boston's lead over the eighth-place Milwaukee Bucks in the East slipped to 1½ games. ... Gasol aggravated a previous abdominal injury and has been ruled out indefinitely.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bucks snap skid at 11, top Celtics - 0
- Green, Celtics blow out Cavs - 0
- Celtics late rally falls short - 0
- Crawford, Celtics ease past Bobcats - 0
- Celtics top Hawks to halt six-game skid - 0
- Spurs top Celtics to extend win streak - 0
- Timberwolves hand Celtics third straight loss - 0
- Aldridge double-double sends Celtics to loss - 0
- Warning sign saves former St. A hoop coach Clifford - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Airlines, weapon makers were the best for shareholders in 2013 - 0
- FDA unveils plan to rein in antibiotics on farms - 0
- Outlet malls: Not what they used to be - 0
- Calif. outlaws ‘revenge porn' - 0
- Kuster launches 'Holiday Cards for Heroes' - 0
- Minor bus accident in Derry blamed on icy roads - 0
- Mega Millions jackpot expected to reach $400m - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
Big tipper stops for lunch
Driver was trying to kill himself
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Win tickets to see Disney on Ice!
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false