Home » Opinion » Editorials
New Hampshire change: Bye, Bedford Falls; hello, Pottersville
Don't look now, but with the proposals coming out of the State House these days, one could be forgiven for thinking that someone was trying to rewrite the Frank Capra film classic into a very bad ending.
Tops on the list this last week: pot-smoking, hard liquor later and expanded gambling.
The House vote on extending "last call'' to 2 a.m. at bars may end up being the last straw for New Hampshire voters who thought they would change things up in Concord this biennium. Apparently, a cabal of Democrats who want more revenue and libertarian-leaning "anything goes'' Republicans decided that selling booze in the wee hours makes perfect sense.
We heard one legislator proclaim that allowing local bars to serve until 2 a.m. would be safer because it would keep more of our drinkers drinking closer to home. If people are driving to another state to drink for one more hour, we think their problems are bigger than a local last call.
But we also heard that "many other states'' allow serving until 2 a.m. Yes, and many other states have income and sales taxes, too. And many other nearby states are sporting slot machines and decriminalizing pot smoking, too.
Keep this up and we can change our branding. Instead of "visit and shop family-friendly, no-sales-tax New Hampshire,'' we can go with "Come early, drink late, and leave your wallet.''
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Roger Simon:If Hillary represents an Obama third term, she is doomed - 0
- Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks: Parvo scare could be detrimental to puppy training, despite slim risk - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 28
- John Stossel: The other green monster - 1
- Another View - Charles Lane: Obama's wedge issue is the seductive lure of golf - 3
- Jonah Goldberg: If the Islamic State is not evil, then what is? - 4
- George Will: Will we build the Navy we need? - 2
- Betsy McCaughey: Congress should take the lead on Iraq - 2
- Another View - Rick Santorum: When Israel needs our help, we have to be there - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Franklin Pierce's Kirsh to retire as AD - 0
- UNH Wildcat gridders can't stop Toledo, 54-20 - 0
- UNH Wildcats volleyball looking forward to good season - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats' cuts hold few surprises - 0
- New-look Boston Red Sox taking test run - 0
- NH Fisher Cats bats silenced in Conn., in 3-1 loss - 0
- Boston Red Sox limited to one hit in loss to Tampa Bay, 7-0 - 0
- Donald Trump to headline 1st Amendment event in NH - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Drivers education to science, meeting all about the kids - 0
Mount Washington Auto Road to host largest gathering of alternative-energy based vehicles in North America