Home » Opinion » Editorials
New Hampshire change: Bye, Bedford Falls; hello, Pottersville
Don't look now, but with the proposals coming out of the State House these days, one could be forgiven for thinking that someone was trying to rewrite the Frank Capra film classic into a very bad ending.
Tops on the list this last week: pot-smoking, hard liquor later and expanded gambling.
The House vote on extending "last call'' to 2 a.m. at bars may end up being the last straw for New Hampshire voters who thought they would change things up in Concord this biennium. Apparently, a cabal of Democrats who want more revenue and libertarian-leaning "anything goes'' Republicans decided that selling booze in the wee hours makes perfect sense.
We heard one legislator proclaim that allowing local bars to serve until 2 a.m. would be safer because it would keep more of our drinkers drinking closer to home. If people are driving to another state to drink for one more hour, we think their problems are bigger than a local last call.
But we also heard that "many other states'' allow serving until 2 a.m. Yes, and many other states have income and sales taxes, too. And many other nearby states are sporting slot machines and decriminalizing pot smoking, too.
Keep this up and we can change our branding. Instead of "visit and shop family-friendly, no-sales-tax New Hampshire,'' we can go with "Come early, drink late, and leave your wallet.''
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Woman sues after her dogs kill neighbor's pet beagle - 0
- Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks: Breed's bad reputation skews the truth about pitbulls - 2
- Auburn family's dog found shot in head - 10
- Cat dies after reportedly being thrown from vehicle on Route 11 in New Durham - 6
- Swanzey dog rescue seeks funds to rebuild after fire - 0
- Answers sought over dead ducks, geese - 0
- Derry residents debate dog leash law - 0
- Man who shot Huskies was worried he would be target of animal rights groups - 20
- Police say three Huskies missing in Merrimack were mistaken as wolves and shot, killed - 75
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Heavy, wet snow causes extended outages for Unitil customers - 0
- Osgood Road closed in Milford, 33% without power - 0
- PSNH says storm ranks as 4th largest for peak outage - 0
- Henniker police shoot suspect in truck heist - 0
- More than 200,000 New Hampshire customers without power - 1
- Thanksgiving travel a nightmare as storm dumps heavy, wet snow - 3
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats put selves in strong position - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl will go as scheduled - 0
- Red Sox think they got free agent signings right this time - 0
Person found dead in Manchester alley
On being American: A point for reflection
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
NH suffers 4th worst outage on record
Pat Buchanan: What to make of Ferguson?