Sep 4, 2014
Aug 28, 2014
Aug 21, 2014
Aug 14, 2014
UNH art history professor arrested for assaulting woman with cane
University of New Hampshire art history professor David Smith, 67, was arrested at his Newmarket home on Saturday night for allegedly assaulting a female, live-in acquaintance. (Courtesy photo/Newmarket Police Department)
Police allege that David Smith, 67, of 27 Elm St., Newmarket, hit a female, live-in acquaintance with a cane.
The woman reported the alleged assault to police around 11:45 p.m. on Saturday night and Smith was arrested shortly thereafter, Newmarket Police Lt. Kyle True said on Tuesday.
Smith was released on $1,500 personal recognizance bail and is scheduled to appear in the 10th Circuit Court, Brentwood division, on May 7 for arraignment.
As a condition of bail he is to have no contact with the victim.
Smith is a professor of art history at UNH, according to the university;s website. Smith also identified himself to police as a UNH professor during the booking process, True said.
He said it is the first contact the department has had with Smith.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Possible negotiated plea for Nashua dad accused of negligent homicide in son's death - 0
- Amherst man facing charges in August Merrimack accident - 0
- Attorney claims illegal phone seizure following Christmas Eve accident that killed Brookline mom - 0
- Nashua couple's minivan stolen with toddler in back seat - 9
- Pelham store robbed Saturday - 0
- Woman charged with attacking fiancÚ, threatening him with a gun - 0
- Two months later, still no answers in killing near Stinson Lake - 0
- Man cited for OHRV use in wetland area in Stewartstown - 0
- $25M suit filed against jail, police by man paralyzed in custody - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Senate sustains Hassan veto of bill to revamp juvenile justice system - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Brown calls on Shaheen to back bill targeting ISIS - 4
- Traffic backed up a mile in Hampton tractor-trailer accident - 0
- Woman shot during Manchester drug raid is identified - 0
- Citizen's Police Academy in Manchester set for Oct. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Football Power Poll; Who's No. 1 this week? - 0
- Heating unit cause of blaze in Manchester - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Belichick's 200th was a trademark triumph - 0
- MarketReach makes move to Nashua - 0
In 2nd District race, Garcia bucks Obamacare
Attorney claims illegal phone seizure following Christmas Eve accident that killed Brookline mom
Find the hidden cash stashed downtown
Strategery: A war by any other name
Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.?
Lawyer wants cellphone evidence thrown out
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
Your Turn, NH -- Ted Menswar Jr.: How Manchester pulled together to honor one of its greats
- Mass. Supreme Judicial Court has found upskirt photos taken on a subway aren't illegal. Should such voyeurism be a crime?
- Total Votes: 917