Dec 4, 2014
Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
UNH art history professor arrested for assaulting woman with cane
University of New Hampshire art history professor David Smith, 67, was arrested at his Newmarket home on Saturday night for allegedly assaulting a female, live-in acquaintance. (Courtesy photo/Newmarket Police Department)
Police allege that David Smith, 67, of 27 Elm St., Newmarket, hit a female, live-in acquaintance with a cane.
The woman reported the alleged assault to police around 11:45 p.m. on Saturday night and Smith was arrested shortly thereafter, Newmarket Police Lt. Kyle True said on Tuesday.
Smith was released on $1,500 personal recognizance bail and is scheduled to appear in the 10th Circuit Court, Brentwood division, on May 7 for arraignment.
As a condition of bail he is to have no contact with the victim.
Smith is a professor of art history at UNH, according to the university;s website. Smith also identified himself to police as a UNH professor during the booking process, True said.
He said it is the first contact the department has had with Smith.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- N.Y. man sentenced in sex assault of NH child in 1988 - 0
- Convicted murderer entitled to hearing on new DNA evidence after 42 years, Supreme Court rules - 2
- Two charged in thefts from parked cars in Manchester - 0
- Hudson man arrested in Nashua check-cashing scheme - 0
- Police investigating bank robbery in Nashua - 0
- Felony drug charge for Rochester man in crack cocaine case - 0
- Judge denies man’s appeal in boating negligent homicide case - 1
- Man charged in Manchester stabbing - 1
- Manchester Crimewatch: Prosecutor says man has convictions dating back to 2006 - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Arrest of dad at Gilford School Board meeting about Picoult book 'chilling' says judge, case dismissed - 3
- Farmington school evacuated for bomb threat; police say kids are safe - 0
- Granite Staters are front and center for UNH - 0
- Monarchs hope to wrap two wins - 0
- College Football: These Redbirds can run and pass - 0
- Bedford pizza restaurant gets surprise makeover from Eastern Bank - 0
- Another View -- Devon Chaffee: Why interrogators believe America should never torture - 1
- Obama gets smoked: Castros celebrate in Havana - 27
- On naming the victim: It is Kibby's story now - 0
BANANAS and NH's energy needs
Enter to win tickets to see Tom Chapin
NH reacts to thaw with Cuba
Vermont's disaster: An Obamedy of errors
Win tickets to see Linkin Park
Arrest of dad at Gilford School Board meeting about Picoult book 'chilling' says judge, case dismissed
Convicted murderer entitled to hearing on new DNA evidence after 42 years, Supreme Court rules
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483