Shouts from the hall outside committee meeting, but no Manchester school superintendent announcement
Toward the end of the meeting, which adjourned about 10:15 p.m., shouts could be heard from the hallway outside the committee's meeting room. Board members refused to discuss the interviews or offer any hints as to who may replace Superintendent Thomas Brennan.
"The only thing we did out of non-public session was seal the minutes and adjourn," said Mayor Ted Gatsas, who serves as the chairman of the school committee.
"No comment," board member Roy Shoults said. Board member Christopher Stewart ignored reporters as he walked out of the room.
Each candidate was scheduled to go into the non-public session for an hour-long interview.
Just one of the candidates, Geoffrey Gordon, the retired superintendent of Port Washington, N.Y., was willing to speak to reporters.
"After two days of interviews here, I'm pretty tired," Gordon said with a laugh. The board members "were very fair and asked excellent questions."
Mark Toback, superintendent of schools in Hoboken, N.J., left his interview after about 25 minutes.
Vincent Cotter, the retired superintendent of Colonial, Pa., school district, refused to comment after an hour-long interview.
"Not at this time, thank you," Cotter said before leaving.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua board agrees on school district sexual harassment policies - 0
- Tuition to go down 5 percent at community colleges - 0
- UPDATE: Supreme Court hears from both sides on education tax credits - 1
- Parents speak out against Jewett Street School proposal - 2
- Citizens Bank offers good citizen scholarships - 0
- Justice returns to North Country alma mater to speak to students - 0
- New program recognizes Colebrook students for volunteering - 0
- Belmont students consider dropping 'offensive' mascot - 44
- At presentation at Manchester firm Dyn, middle schoolers learn STEAM Ahead could lead to cool career - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portsmouth arrests 2 for heroin sales - 2
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- Student brings knife into Nashua school - 0
- Ex-director jailed for theft from Londonderry nursery school - 1
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Anonymous email was 'malicious,' says Auburn police commissioner - 0
- Senate votes to ban hand-held cellphone use in cars; bill heads back to House - 10
- Auburn town administrator under fire - 0
Manchester mayor: 'It's the tax cap budget'
Derry woman accused of burglaries
Another View -- Jeff Goley and Will Infantine: Time for an increase in weekly benefits for NH unemployed
Portsmouth arrests 2 for heroin sales