Home » Opinion » Editorials
On concealed carry: For once, follow Vermont
Vermont, where people generally are less free than they are here, trumps New Hampshire when it comes to gun rights. Just over the Connecticut River, a gun owner can holster his weapon, throw on a coat, and go about his business without having to receive permission from the government. That sounds really bad to too many New Hampshire legislators.
House Bill 451, up for a vote today, would repeal the law requiring a permit to carry concealed. According to the House Criminal Justice and Public Safety Committee, which opposes the bill, "(t)he present system ensures that local police departments do not issue licenses to persons that should not have them."
Actually, the law states that licenses shall be issued for hunting, target shooting or self-defense. It essentially orders licenses to be issued except for good cause. But chiefs have been known to abuse the authority the law grants them and deny or delay license approvals at will.
Opponents of HB 451 fear that removing the permitting process will turn New Hampshire into a lawless dystopia where gunslingers and gangsters battle daily for control of the mean, blood-stained streets, lined with the bodies of innocent victims. You know, just like Vermont.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pipeline protest in Fitzwilliam - 0
- Poll shows Groton voters oppose new wind plants - 2
- Opposition lines up against new Alexandria wind plant proposal - 1
- PSNH's rate request puts it lower than competitors, a reversal from last year - 6
- Pipeline meeting in Mason draws big crowd - 0
- Kinder Morgan reveals route for pipeline at Milford meeting - 1
- Nature vs. man: Keeping the lights on - 1
- Pipeline pushback seen in NH - 7
- Meeting will inform Mason residents about proposed pipeline - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads