Snow season still strong
Snow season still going strong in northern NH
Just few miles from Conway Village, there's plenty of soft snow left on the Nanamocomuck Ski Trail. (SARA YOUNG-KNOX PHOTO)
Shea, 27, was ready to go through the bridge to the Lower Nanamocomuck Trail, something that was not possible a year ago at this time. By late March 2012 the mercury had already hit 80 degrees in the White Mountains, and what little snow there had been was long gone.
This year's unseasonably cool March weather, combined with the late winter and early spring storms, has stretched out the season for winter outdoor activities in the White Mountains and farther north.
"It's been a good winter," Shea said as he finished applying klister - the soft, sticky ski wax used for icy, slushy or wet conditions - on his skis. "Last winter you didn't even have to shovel," he added.
The snow in the woods and trails is good news for those who enjoy spring skiing and snowmobiling.
"The past few months of March (in recent years) have not brought much natural snowfall, but this year is certainly making up for that. The stage is now set for an awesome spring skiing season, which really makes the deals on lift tickets and season passes that much more valuable to our guests," Karl Stone, Ski NH's marketing director, said recently.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Win tickets to see ZZ Top - 0
- A taste of Rome comes to Elm Street - 0
- Berlin's Jericho ATV Festival extended to 3 days - 0
- When company comes, opt for variety - 0
- Salem selectmen honor retiring Special Olympics coach - 0
- Crystal Lake to be closed due to elevated E. coli bacteria - 0
- Letter of credit secured for Salem bike, pedestrian path - 0
- Hooksett and Manchester school officials seek new deal - 0
- Effort to build recreation center boosted by tax credit award - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
When company comes, opt for variety
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
A taste of Rome comes to Elm Street
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
Voting in NH: Not just for NH residents
Gorham man arrested for kidnapping Abigail
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail