Home » News » Public Safety
The art of saving the day
Londonderry voluntary emergency responders practice the art of saving the day
On Saturday morning, the volunteer members of A Londonderry Emergency Response Team (ALERT) gathered at the Hickory Hill trail head for intensive line-search exercises.
The Londonderry volunteers were joined by a Civilian Emergency Response Team (CERT) from Bedford, bringing the total number of participants to 30.
ALERT Vice President Colleen Monks said such training is vital for the volunteers, since line searching is the typical process used for locating lost people and property. By moving a group of emergency responders in a shoulder-to-shoulder forward movement, the volunteers can thoroughly search an area.
Monks said the training also gave team members the opportunity to practice their compass and GPS skills. Using a special mannequin, the volunteers also practiced carrying an injured person out of the forest.
Monks said the ALERT team holds regular training exercises throughout the year, with other training focused on traffic control, emergency shelter operations, road clearing and first aid.
"The idea is to be ready whenever we're called upon," said Monks, who noted that the local team regularly works at the request of Londonderry police and fire officials, as well as the state Fish and Game Department. The ALERT team doesn't self-deploy, she said, and remains under the supervision of public safety officials. For more information on ALERT, visit www.londonderryalert.org.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Motorcyclist suffers minor injuries in Saturday crash in Laconia - 0
- 18-year-old located with mother, brother on Mount Monadnock - 0
- Two killed in North Hampton plane crash - 0
- New fire training facility proposed in Nashua - 0
- 2 die in North Hampton plane crash - 0
- NH police on lookout for drunken drivers - 5
- Marine Patrol called to multiple crashes - 0
- Hiker rescued on Mount Monadnock - 0
- Laconia accident results in minor injuries for motorcyclist - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Know the Law: Know your rights when dealing with debt collectors - 0
- Ask SCORE: Getting help with routine chores allows owners to focus on critical issues - 0
- Another View - Richard Ober: We have to act now to stop the decline in NH's future prospects - 0
- Another View: Gordon Humphrey -- Rubens will bring principled, courageous leadership to Senate - 0
- Firefly dress could set the world on fire - 0
- As school year starts, talk of new testing begins in Manchester - 0
- Wildcats focus on positives following opening loss - 0
- NHIAA Field Hockey Preview: Exeter, Pinkerton girls thinking big - 0
- Frank Jones' foray into ale-making in Portsmouth is a success - 0
Two killed in North Hampton plane crash
DWI License Revocations
Sherborne takes Manchester city golf crown