Home » News » Public Safety
The art of saving the day
Londonderry voluntary emergency responders practice the art of saving the day
On Saturday morning, the volunteer members of A Londonderry Emergency Response Team (ALERT) gathered at the Hickory Hill trail head for intensive line-search exercises.
The Londonderry volunteers were joined by a Civilian Emergency Response Team (CERT) from Bedford, bringing the total number of participants to 30.
ALERT Vice President Colleen Monks said such training is vital for the volunteers, since line searching is the typical process used for locating lost people and property. By moving a group of emergency responders in a shoulder-to-shoulder forward movement, the volunteers can thoroughly search an area.
Monks said the training also gave team members the opportunity to practice their compass and GPS skills. Using a special mannequin, the volunteers also practiced carrying an injured person out of the forest.
Monks said the ALERT team holds regular training exercises throughout the year, with other training focused on traffic control, emergency shelter operations, road clearing and first aid.
"The idea is to be ready whenever we're called upon," said Monks, who noted that the local team regularly works at the request of Londonderry police and fire officials, as well as the state Fish and Game Department. The ALERT team doesn't self-deploy, she said, and remains under the supervision of public safety officials. For more information on ALERT, visit www.londonderryalert.org.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Manchester police to hold ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event - 0
- Keene ordinance against synthetic drugs seems to be working - 0
- Plea deal for woman who allegedly supplied drug hours before Hampton double fatal - 0
- Merrimack rollover sends Mass. driver to hospital - 0
- Suit claims Hudson violates rights of panhandlers - 1
- Driver hits Rochester monument, rolls car and is trapped - 0
- Nashua firefighters put out two fires; 14 people forced out in Palm Street blaze - 0
- Two injured in late night car crash in Londonderry - 0
- Hampton Falls woman charged with striking Rye police officer with her car - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Concord man charged in downtown stabbing - 0
- GPS device locates stolen truck in Merrimack - 0
- Traffic signal stop leads to drug arrest in Merrimack - 0
- NH Fisher Cats slam way to win over Trenton - 0
- Officials hire principal for Golden Brook school - 0
- Seniors help students start year on the right foot, with the write stuff - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies
Hassan, Havenstein both raise nearly $2m