Home » Opinion » Editorials
Gun clubs grow: NH responds to a threat
Oh, relax. We don't mean it. We were just wondering what the anti-gun zealots must have thought after reading our Wednesday story on the explosion in New Hampshire gun-club membership.
Four years ago the Chester Rod and Gun Club had fewer than 500 members. Today it has more than 1,300. A rise in applications this winter has resulted in a waiting list so long that if you sign up now you might become a member by August. Clubs in Canterbury, Goffstown, Hudson and Nashua are at capacity.
What gives? Club officials say most of the new applicants are not experienced gun owners. They are newbies not entrenched in gun culture.
That must frighten the gunophobes something awful. They're losing "normal" people to the gun nuts!
We wonder if they will ever realize that most gun owners are normal folks and that the most effective method of increasing gun ownership is for the government to suggest that access to guns is about to be restricted.
Bill Hovanasian, board member of the Chester Rod and Gun Club, said "for now Mr. Obama has probably been the best gun salesman there ever was." The reason for that is easy to grasp. It is not that crazies are buying up all the guns. It's that perfectly normal Americans value their right to keep and bear arms, and they want to make sure they retain it.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles Krauthammer: Ebola vs. civil liberties - 0
- Wayne F. Lesperance Jr.: Republicans are poised to win the Senate... maybe - 2
- George Will: The fictitious war on women - 0
- Thomas Sowell: Irresponsible 'education' - 3
- Our Constitution is crumbling and few seem to care - 4
- Can the administration handle an outbreak as well as Hollywood thinks it can? - 6
- George Will: Tackled by the speech police - 1
- Another View -- Steve Merrill: NH needs Walt Havenstein's Pledge 2.0 - 2
- NH's fantasy budgeting has got to end - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Kelley Tambouris: I am a Manchester teacher, and I need more support - 0
- What rising tide? Kuster vs. Kennedy - 0
- Government thinks it's your right not to know - 0
- On Obamacare: Shaheen doesn't get it - 0
- Manning sets mark for TD passes in Broncos' blowout of Niners - 0
- Police say man stole lottery tickets from Manchester store - 0
- Keselowski keeps Cup Chase hopes alive - 0
- Free Keene founder gets community service sentence for fraud conviction - 0
- Clarksville man accidentally shoots himself - 0
Keene Pumpkin Festival has uncertain future
Keene State College students clean up after mayhem, say weekend riots were not their fault
Monitoring social media
Shaheen, in Hooksett, rallies with union
After riots, soul-searching begins
On Obamacare: Shaheen doesn't get it
What rising tide? Kuster vs. Kennedy