Home » Opinion » Editorials
Gun clubs grow: NH responds to a threat
Oh, relax. We don't mean it. We were just wondering what the anti-gun zealots must have thought after reading our Wednesday story on the explosion in New Hampshire gun-club membership.
Four years ago the Chester Rod and Gun Club had fewer than 500 members. Today it has more than 1,300. A rise in applications this winter has resulted in a waiting list so long that if you sign up now you might become a member by August. Clubs in Canterbury, Goffstown, Hudson and Nashua are at capacity.
What gives? Club officials say most of the new applicants are not experienced gun owners. They are newbies not entrenched in gun culture.
That must frighten the gunophobes something awful. They're losing "normal" people to the gun nuts!
We wonder if they will ever realize that most gun owners are normal folks and that the most effective method of increasing gun ownership is for the government to suggest that access to guns is about to be restricted.
Bill Hovanasian, board member of the Chester Rod and Gun Club, said "for now Mr. Obama has probably been the best gun salesman there ever was." The reason for that is easy to grasp. It is not that crazies are buying up all the guns. It's that perfectly normal Americans value their right to keep and bear arms, and they want to make sure they retain it.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Marco Rubio: Brown will stop the Obama agenda, put us on a better course - 3
- Another View - Sean O'Kane: Jeanne Shaheen is a friend of NH's tourism industry - 6
- Charles Arlinghaus: How the cult of celebrity destroys our political culture - 1
- Pat Buchanan: How do terror networks win their Western recruits? - 0
- Another View -- Marilinda Garcia: Rep. Ann Kuster has not been a help to NH senior citizens - 8
- Jonah Goldberg: Why narratives are more powerful than ideas - 0
- Pat Buchanan: People sense the country is falling apart - 2
- Celeste Clark : I saw Keene State College and the police try to prevent a riot - 2
- Deroy Murdock: Colorado shows the perils of mailing-in the election - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Commodore Nutt takes D.C. by storm - 1
- School's out for voters - 0
- Kuster's abortion lies: Claims against Garcia are untrue - 10
- Senate battle attracts 17,000 TV ads in NH - 0
- Jonathan E. Benedict - 1
- Drew Cline: GOP missed opportunities could mean trouble on Tuesday - 2
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Demaryius Thomas is x-factor for Broncos' offense - 1
- College Football: Big Green ready for tussle with Harvard - 0
- UNH Notebook: Albany is much improved - 0
Trump fired up over NH mailer