Home » Opinion » Editorials
Gun clubs grow: NH responds to a threat
Oh, relax. We don't mean it. We were just wondering what the anti-gun zealots must have thought after reading our Wednesday story on the explosion in New Hampshire gun-club membership.
Four years ago the Chester Rod and Gun Club had fewer than 500 members. Today it has more than 1,300. A rise in applications this winter has resulted in a waiting list so long that if you sign up now you might become a member by August. Clubs in Canterbury, Goffstown, Hudson and Nashua are at capacity.
What gives? Club officials say most of the new applicants are not experienced gun owners. They are newbies not entrenched in gun culture.
That must frighten the gunophobes something awful. They're losing "normal" people to the gun nuts!
We wonder if they will ever realize that most gun owners are normal folks and that the most effective method of increasing gun ownership is for the government to suggest that access to guns is about to be restricted.
Bill Hovanasian, board member of the Chester Rod and Gun Club, said "for now Mr. Obama has probably been the best gun salesman there ever was." The reason for that is easy to grasp. It is not that crazies are buying up all the guns. It's that perfectly normal Americans value their right to keep and bear arms, and they want to make sure they retain it.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sheridan Brown: NH is vulnerable to an oil spill and needs some protection - 2
- Al Felgar: Patients can’t wait for state to fix narrow Obamacare network - 2
- George Will: The benefits of prudence - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Paul and Cruz vie to become Reagan's heir - 0
- Thomas Sowell: Liberal education policies hurt minorities - 1
- Charles Arlinghaus: Yes, our paltry rainy day fund is a really big deal - 3
- Rep. Terie Norelli: New Hampshire workers deserve higher minimum wages - 2
- Les Bernal: Why don’t casino advocates and executives patronize casinos? - 6
- David Harsanyi: Do most Americans agree with Demsocrats? - 3
READER COMMENTS: 0
- A second chance: Manchester hasn't won Hooksett yet - 0
- Calling Deep Throat: Where is Obama's Mark Felt? - 0
- Monarchs know there's always room for improvement - 0
- Student artwork on display in Derry for PTA's Reflections - 0
- Town, school budgets approved in Amherst - 0
- Wilton-Lyndeborough elementary school merger plan passes - 0
- Hollis voters approve all warrant articles - 0
- Div. I Girls' Basketball: Bedford advances to final with ease - 0
- Boys' Hockey: Souhegan, John Stark-Hopkinton advance in Div. III - 0
Town, school budgets approved in Amherst
Two officers pinpointed in Weare shooting
Win tickets to see Billy Idol
Hollis voters approve all warrant articles
Rochester firm is ready to add jobs
No dice: House kills casino gambling bill
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to announce exploratory committee for U.S. Senate run