Home » Opinion » Editorials
Gun clubs grow: NH responds to a threat
Oh, relax. We don't mean it. We were just wondering what the anti-gun zealots must have thought after reading our Wednesday story on the explosion in New Hampshire gun-club membership.
Four years ago the Chester Rod and Gun Club had fewer than 500 members. Today it has more than 1,300. A rise in applications this winter has resulted in a waiting list so long that if you sign up now you might become a member by August. Clubs in Canterbury, Goffstown, Hudson and Nashua are at capacity.
What gives? Club officials say most of the new applicants are not experienced gun owners. They are newbies not entrenched in gun culture.
That must frighten the gunophobes something awful. They're losing "normal" people to the gun nuts!
We wonder if they will ever realize that most gun owners are normal folks and that the most effective method of increasing gun ownership is for the government to suggest that access to guns is about to be restricted.
Bill Hovanasian, board member of the Chester Rod and Gun Club, said "for now Mr. Obama has probably been the best gun salesman there ever was." The reason for that is easy to grasp. It is not that crazies are buying up all the guns. It's that perfectly normal Americans value their right to keep and bear arms, and they want to make sure they retain it.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Authorities detonate suspicious package left near Boston Marathon finish line on one-year anniversary of bombing - 0
- Flooding shuts down North Country highways - 0
- Officials say Northfield man presumed drowned after 'Polar Plunge' - 1
- Legislative committees move 4.2-cent-per-gallon gas tax increase closer to reality - 5
- Northfield man presumed dead after 'Polar Plunge' in Bristol - 3
- Power restored to downtown Manchester - 0
- Supreme Court: Liquor Commission, trial judge did not follow right-to-know law - 1
- Driver identified in fatal Northumberland crash - 0
- AG agrees man who killed woman, 70, in Littleton hotel was insane at time - 1
License revocations for DWI announced
Berlin BioPower plant coming up to speed
Rep. Shea-Porter honored for efforts to aid in health care by National Association of Community Health Centers