Home » Opinion » Editorials
Gun clubs grow: NH responds to a threat
Oh, relax. We don't mean it. We were just wondering what the anti-gun zealots must have thought after reading our Wednesday story on the explosion in New Hampshire gun-club membership.
Four years ago the Chester Rod and Gun Club had fewer than 500 members. Today it has more than 1,300. A rise in applications this winter has resulted in a waiting list so long that if you sign up now you might become a member by August. Clubs in Canterbury, Goffstown, Hudson and Nashua are at capacity.
What gives? Club officials say most of the new applicants are not experienced gun owners. They are newbies not entrenched in gun culture.
That must frighten the gunophobes something awful. They're losing "normal" people to the gun nuts!
We wonder if they will ever realize that most gun owners are normal folks and that the most effective method of increasing gun ownership is for the government to suggest that access to guns is about to be restricted.
Bill Hovanasian, board member of the Chester Rod and Gun Club, said "for now Mr. Obama has probably been the best gun salesman there ever was." The reason for that is easy to grasp. It is not that crazies are buying up all the guns. It's that perfectly normal Americans value their right to keep and bear arms, and they want to make sure they retain it.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- After the election is over, the signs remain - 4
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Shelters provide stable places to rebuild lives - 0
- School's out for voters - 3
- How stable is this telephone pole? - 0
- Tenants, landlords trumped by persistent bedbugs - 4
- Neighbors want a sound wall for a wall of highway sound - 0
- Tiny park's got no game — and few visitors - 4
- Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too - 18
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Raising a pint for science - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Osgood Road closed in Milford, 33% without power - 0
- PSNH says storm ranks as 4th largest for peak outage - 0
- Henniker police shoot suspect in truck heist - 0
- More than 200,000 New Hampshire customers without power - 1
- Thanksgiving travel a nightmare as storm dumps heavy, wet snow - 3
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats put selves in strong position - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl will go as scheduled - 0
- Red Sox think they got free agent signings right this time - 0
- Turkey Bowls: Passion always on the menu - 0
Person found dead in Manchester alley
On being American: A point for reflection
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
NH suffers 4th worst outage on record
Pat Buchanan: What to make of Ferguson?