Monarchs score a huge road win
Eight teams from each conference qualify for the upcoming Calder Cup playoffs, and the Monarchs, with 69 points, remain two points behind Hershey for the eighth and final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. The loss dropped Worcester six points off the pace.
Manchester's Martin Jones stopped 40 shots in goal, withstanding a 19-shot barrage by the Sharks in the final period.
The Monarchs jumped out to a 3-0 lead, with Vincent LoVerde scoring what stood up as the game-winner at 8:59 of the first period on assist from Anthony Stewart and Brian O'Neill. It was LoVerde's second goal of the year.
A power play goal 29 seconds into the second by David Kolomatis, his sixth, made it 2-0 and Brandon Kozun pushed it to a three-goal lead midway through the period with his 24th tally of the season.
The Monarchs are back on the road Friday at Portland, before getting a week off. They start April with five of their first six games at home at the Verizon Wireless Arena, starting with a Friday, April 5 matchup against the Pirates.
READER COMMENTS: 8
- Public Service seeks rate hike; blames energy costs - 4
- NRC to address concrete degradation at Seabrook nuclear plant - 0
- Maine environmental groups clash over wind power - 0
- 2008 ice storm left thousands powerless, changed the way NH prepares - 1
- Council considers attorney to serve on PUC - 0
- Warner officials research solar energy project - 0
- $22.3m approved for MTBE assessment plan - 1
- 11th-hour deal in Seabrook Station labor battle - 1
- Seabrook Station labor lockout would draw NRC presence - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Target says data security breach may affect 40 million cards - 0
- Nashua man held in home invasion - 0
- Fugitive of the week: James Porter - 0
- Firefighters respond to fire at Somersworth home - 0
- Milford fatal crash remains under investigation - 0
- Snow could reschedule Super Bowl - 2
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child