Monarchs score a huge road win
Eight teams from each conference qualify for the upcoming Calder Cup playoffs, and the Monarchs, with 69 points, remain two points behind Hershey for the eighth and final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. The loss dropped Worcester six points off the pace.
Manchester's Martin Jones stopped 40 shots in goal, withstanding a 19-shot barrage by the Sharks in the final period.
The Monarchs jumped out to a 3-0 lead, with Vincent LoVerde scoring what stood up as the game-winner at 8:59 of the first period on assist from Anthony Stewart and Brian O'Neill. It was LoVerde's second goal of the year.
A power play goal 29 seconds into the second by David Kolomatis, his sixth, made it 2-0 and Brandon Kozun pushed it to a three-goal lead midway through the period with his 24th tally of the season.
The Monarchs are back on the road Friday at Portland, before getting a week off. They start April with five of their first six games at home at the Verizon Wireless Arena, starting with a Friday, April 5 matchup against the Pirates.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice - 8
- Joseph W. McQuaid: Prizes & playoffs: Well done, UNH - 1
- Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA - 13
- Joseph W. McQuaid: Keeping public in the dark isn't helping find Abigail - 26
- The Peace Light: A Christmas reminder for all - 0
- Doing 'less with less' Is that Gov. Hassan's new motto? - 11
- Washington Jeanne: Will Shaheen face her state? - 44
- McWages: They're about value - 82
- Night lights: Francestown freaks out - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police say Keene robbery victim was targeted through online dating site - 0
- Keene police investigating attempted robbery at grocery store - 0
- Nashua teacher contract ratified - 0
- College roundup: Local men's teams go 3-0 for the night - 0
- Girls basketball: Derryfield, Bow girls' teams win - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- Progress reported in Pinkerton-Hooksett high school deal - 1
- LGC subsidiary accused of violating its own bylaws - 0
- Turkey Bowl brawl: Central players suspended, no discipline for Trinity team - 5
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice