Home » News » Public Safety
7-year-old cyclist injured after being struck by car
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded around 4:13 p.m. to the home on Gagne Street, which is near River Street, after a 2005 Honda Accord driven by Cynthia Lewis, 54, of 7a Gagne St. struck the boy who was riding his bike across the end of the driveway.
"A woman was backing up into a driveway when she saw a flash of light," Fire Capt. Mark Avery said, adding the boy was not wearing any protective equipment, such as a helmet or reflective clothing.
Avery said paramedics transported the boy to Frisbie Memorial Hospital.
Sgt. Patrick Emerson said the boy was not riding his bike with a parent or sibling. He was counseled about the proper place to ride his bicycle.
"The proper place for a bicycle would be on the roadway as far to the edge as possible given the circumstances and riding with the flow of traffic," Emerson said.
No charges are forthcoming and the investigation is complete, according to Emerson.
Police encourage all bicyclists to wear helmets and to obey all applicable laws pertaining to the operation of bicycles on the roadway.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 12-hour effort needed to get Mass. hiker off Mt. Adams - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge was local woman - 0
- Woman gets speeding ticket, then crashes into guard rail - 4
- Weare Deputy Chief Sean Kelly set to manage Weare Police Department - 0
- Lizard in food sends 300 schoolchildren to hospital - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Communications giant chips in for generator for Derry FD - 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Not your standard victory - 0
- Diane Foley is a lady of extraordinary elegance - 0
- Mayor's police contract veto may face override in Nashua - 0
- Havenstein to unveil 'Pledge 2.0' today, saying, 'I won't spend money we don't have' - 1
- Motivation Matters: Hey, boss! How am I doing? - 0
- Big Idea Group a startup breeding ground - 0
- North Country summit to highlight job creation - 0
- Food stamp loophole not a go in NH - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Everett Pollard: Mount Sunapee's master plan will benefit whole region - 0
7 hikers rescued from Pawtuckaway
Food stamp loophole not a go in NH
Foreclosure relief clinic Oct. 1 in Derry
NH's future: Dean Kamen highlights a problem