Home » News » Public Safety
7-year-old cyclist injured after being struck by car
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded around 4:13 p.m. to the home on Gagne Street, which is near River Street, after a 2005 Honda Accord driven by Cynthia Lewis, 54, of 7a Gagne St. struck the boy who was riding his bike across the end of the driveway.
"A woman was backing up into a driveway when she saw a flash of light," Fire Capt. Mark Avery said, adding the boy was not wearing any protective equipment, such as a helmet or reflective clothing.
Avery said paramedics transported the boy to Frisbie Memorial Hospital.
Sgt. Patrick Emerson said the boy was not riding his bike with a parent or sibling. He was counseled about the proper place to ride his bicycle.
"The proper place for a bicycle would be on the roadway as far to the edge as possible given the circumstances and riding with the flow of traffic," Emerson said.
No charges are forthcoming and the investigation is complete, according to Emerson.
Police encourage all bicyclists to wear helmets and to obey all applicable laws pertaining to the operation of bicycles on the roadway.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Weare Deputy Chief Sean Kelly set to manage Weare Police Department - 0
- Lizard in food sends 300 schoolchildren to hospital - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Communications giant chips in for generator for Derry FD - 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition after crash in Rochester - 0
- Manchester police officers to be honored for work in unresolved West Side stabbing death - 5
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vailas rallies UNH football to 29-26 win over Richmond - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Raiders should be tucked away early - 0
- St. Anselm football wins home opener, goes to 3-0 - 0
- SNHU golfer Nutter earns weekly honor - 0
- Dover's Helliwell wins ACT Invitational - 0
- Concord, Pinkerton, Coe-Brown runners win - 0
- Nashua South gets on track by beating Merrimack - 0
- Pinkerton stuffs Salem late, holds on - 0
- Dartmouth football wins opener over Central Conn., 35-25 - 0
Goodell vows domestic violence change