Home » News » Public Safety
7-year-old cyclist injured after being struck by car
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded around 4:13 p.m. to the home on Gagne Street, which is near River Street, after a 2005 Honda Accord driven by Cynthia Lewis, 54, of 7a Gagne St. struck the boy who was riding his bike across the end of the driveway.
"A woman was backing up into a driveway when she saw a flash of light," Fire Capt. Mark Avery said, adding the boy was not wearing any protective equipment, such as a helmet or reflective clothing.
Avery said paramedics transported the boy to Frisbie Memorial Hospital.
Sgt. Patrick Emerson said the boy was not riding his bike with a parent or sibling. He was counseled about the proper place to ride his bicycle.
"The proper place for a bicycle would be on the roadway as far to the edge as possible given the circumstances and riding with the flow of traffic," Emerson said.
No charges are forthcoming and the investigation is complete, according to Emerson.
Police encourage all bicyclists to wear helmets and to obey all applicable laws pertaining to the operation of bicycles on the roadway.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Garage fire displaces Manchester family - 0
- Fire destroys historic Claremont convent - 0
- Minor injury in crash at Concord airport - 0
- Child Advocacy Centers offer safe place for abused to begin healing - 0
- Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire - 0
- 2 officers, Weare face civil suit over 2012 burglary arrest - 25
- Extreme skier's handgun found, returned to him - 8
- Antrim fire damages cape - 0
- Merrimack students get a sobering lesson about drinking and driving - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dartmouth president calls for end of high-risk behavior - 0
- Havenstein: 'I'm a pro-choice Republican' - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notes: '3-G' may go, but 'Memories 2' is coming - 0
- The courage of Boston: The courage of America - 0
- Downhill: Obamacare vs. ski areas - 0
- Scene in Manchester: City Food Co-op is a fresh idea - 0
- UNH Notebook: Holy Toledo! Only 130 days until football opener - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Suraj K. Budathoki: I am at last happy, for I am at last an American - 0
- Rex Huppke: I, robot employee, work from the couch (wearing shorts) - 0
FlowTraq CEO has his eye on Manchester
CDFA names Caswell new director
Sox win in wild walk-off over O's
Cannon closes out season with 46 trails open
A cellphone ban: Ignoring inconvenient data
Mike Cote's Business Editor's Notebook: Restaurant owner faces up to challenge of Obamacare
'He is risen': 'As he said'