Home » Opinion » Editorials
Redirecting the LGC: George Bald's challenge
In 2000, the LGC created a Property and Liability Trust, which provided workers compensation services to municipalities. It lost money every year. The LGC transferred $17.1 million from other insurance pools to the liability trust to keep it in the black. The Professional Fire Fighters of New Hampshire challenged that transfer in court and won, and the LGC was ordered to repay the money. Instead of settling or complying, it has fought the repayment orders in court, racking up the $2.2 million bill, which it has paid with taxpayer funds collected from its municipal customers.
This is the mess the LGC's interim executive director, George Bald, a former state economic development commissioner, inherited after the previous director's firing. For our Thursday story on this massive legal expense, Bald said, "Certainly, I'm saddened we've had to spend that amount of money." He said he hoped to "move us out of the legal arena so we're not spending so much money in legal defense."
Bald seems to get the absurdity of the situation. As firefighters president David Lang said, "To use over $2 million of other people's money to prevent them from getting their own money back makes no sense to me." Here is to hoping that Bald can swiftly steer the organization in another direction and stop the continued wasting of other people's money.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pat Buchanan: Has Hillary Clinton ever been right on foreign policy? - 0
- David Harsanyi: The left's ridiculous freakout over Burger King - 0
- Christopher Thompson's Closing the Deal: Time for Market Basket to get back to business - 0
- George Will: Paul Ryan's way forward - 3
- Charles Krauthammer: Lower corporate tax rates or lose more firms - 2
- Roger Simon: If Hillary represents an Obama third term, she is doomed - 0
- Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks: Parvo scare could be detrimental to puppy training, despite slim risk - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 30
- John Stossel: The other green monster - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Know the Law: Know your rights when dealing with debt collectors - 0
- Ask SCORE: Getting help with routine chores allows owners to focus on critical issues - 0
- Another View - Richard Ober: We have to act now to stop the decline in NH's future prospects - 0
- Firefly dress could set the world on fire - 0
- As school year starts, talk of new testing begins in Manchester - 0
- Wildcats focus on positives following opening loss - 0
- NHIAA Field Hockey Preview: Exeter, Pinkerton girls thinking big - 0
- Frank Jones' foray into ale-making in Portsmouth is a success - 0
- The JV team: Obama's unbelievable admission - 0
Two killed in North Hampton plane crash
DWI License Revocations
Sherborne takes Manchester city golf crown
The JV team: Obama's unbelievable admission
Another View: Gordon Humphrey -- Rubens will bring principled, courageous leadership to Senate
'Our job is to rebuild that middle class'