Pirates skate away from Monarchs
Manchester remained two points behind Hershey for the eighth and final playoff spot in the AHL's Eastern Conference. The Bears lost at Albany on Friday night, 5-3.
Manchester took a short-lived 3-2 lead early in the second period, but Portland scored four unanswered goals, three in the third period.
Manchester went into the night six points behind Portland in the Atlantic Division. The teams play again Friday when the Monarchs come back home to Verizon Wireless Arena after six days off.
Linden Vey's 19th goal of the season got the Monarchs back into the game after Portland jumped out to a 2-0 lead with a pair of goals in the opening three minutes of the first period. Vey and Tanner Pearson each had a hand in Manchester's first three goals.
Vey scored off assists from Pearson and Nick Deslauriers to make it 2-1 at 3:38. The period ended at 2-all after Pearson tied the game at 14:13 with his 14th goal. Vey made it 3-2 less than two minutes into the second period, but Portland struck for the equalizer at 8:07 on a goal by Evan Brophey. The Pirates pulled away with three in the final stanza.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- New spokesman named for Diocese of Manchester - 0
- First Church of Christ, Scientist, in Derry celebrates 100 years - 0
- Ararat Armenian Congregational Church in Salem celebrates 100 years, welcomes pastor - 0
- Interfaith Thanksgiving Service is Monday - 1
- Annual collection helps religious communities address retirement shortfall - 0
- Keene church to hold Colonial Thanksgiving service Sunday - 0
- New Baptist church opening in Concord - 0
- Londonderry church blesses pets - 0
- Center gets grant from bishop's fund - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hudson man facing DWI charge after crash - 0
- Minimum wage rally at South Willow McDonald's - 4
- Frisbie hospital seeks hearing on network exclusion, information denial - 0
- Ayotte praised over attempt to change broadband funding - 0
- Pats prepare for Browns' bag of 'tricks' - 0
- Believe it: Celtics are in first - 0
- Vonn finishes training run, mulls entering Friday's race - 0
- Windham teachers' contract in mediation - 0
- College Roundup: Springfield shoots SNHU past FPU - 0
Dingman: Parole me for murder of parents
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans