All Sections

Home | Crime

Investigation continues into officer-involved shooting that claimed life of Grafton man

New Hampshire Union Leader

March 30. 2013 7:56PM

A Grafton man killed in an officer-involved shooting in Walpole Friday died from gunshot wounds to the head, chest and abdomen, authorities said Saturday.

Authorities identified the man as Larry Albert Bohannon, who was born in 1961, making him 51 or 52 years old.

Dr. Thomas Andrew, the state's chief medical examiner, performed an autopsy on Bohannon's body Saturday, according to the Attorney General's Office.

"The investigation into the circumstances surrounding his death is continuing, and no further information is expected to be released until early next week," the AG's office said in a statement.

Senior Assistant Attorney General Janice Rundles earlier said the man was involved in an armed robbery in Bellows Falls, Vt., on Friday. The man "was said to have worn a ski mask and carried a handgun," she said. The man fled to New Hampshire, and officers from Walpole and Alstead pursued his vehicle.

"At the end of the pursuit, shots were fired, and the suspect was killed at the scene," Rundles said.

She said she couldn't comment on whether the man fired at police or whether authorities recovered a handgun. She said the man failed to comply with orders from police.

David Tuttle, who lives next door to the crime scene, said he could hear a chase.

"I could hear sirens. Right here, I heard a screech and then a thud, and a few seconds later some shots, and a little bit after that some shots," Tuttle told the New Hampshire Sunday News.

"I'm going to guess there were two groups, each with three or four (shots)," he said.

Bellows Falls police said the robbery took place about 4:15 p.m. Friday at the Snow and Lear Newton, a local business. A man wearing a dark ski mask entered the store and displayed a firearm to the store clerk and demanded money. The man fled the store in a dark-colored truck parked nearby. The robber escaped with cash, and no one was injured.

The man sped away from the downtown area and was later seen in New Hampshire by responding police, according to the Vermont authorities.

Walpole resident Betty Prentiss said she saw dozens of emergency vehicles with flashing lights parked by her house at 248 Upper Walpole Road.

"We came home and first wondered if our house was on fire," she said. She saw a pickup truck on its side in her yard.

"We lived here 40 years; there have been a lot of accidents ... over the years, but nothing like this," she said. "Most everybody (living in town) knew where it happened, and a lot of them called us to see what was going on."

Tracy Aumand, who lives across the street from Prentiss, said she came home after the shooting happened.

"It's very frightening to have it right across the street," she said. "Luckily, we have very good law (enforcement) officials, and they took care of it and did what they needed to make all the families in the neighborhood safe."

Crime Grafton Walpole Top Section Stories

More Headlines

Hampton dog groomer arrested a second time

Animal Control officer guilty in groping case