Danbury to study leaving Newfound Area School District
At town meeting last month, Danbury residents overwhelmingly voted for a warrant article that asked the school board to conduct a formal study on the costs and changes required for a town to leave a school district.
Danbury residents are concerned about their future in the Newfound district, said town selectman Jim Phelps, and want to see if it makes sense to leave.
"There's no hue and cry from Danbury to leave the school district," Phelps said. "The people just want to study the idea and go from there."
Danbury has a K-5 elementary school and sends its students in grades 6-8 to Newfound Middle School.
Town residents last year heard news of a district plan to move Danbury's fifth-grade students to the middle school as a cost-saving measure, but that plan was dropped when Danbury residents protested.
Phelps said people in his town are dealing with decreased enrollments, as are other towns in the district.
Danbury students have the longest ride of any students in the district into Bristol, so residents want to consider their options, he said.
"There's really no consensus yet, but things are changing in the district and I think people want to know what's possible," he said.
School board Chairman Vincent Paul Migliore said the board will announce tonight that it has begun the process of investigating the legal and financial consequences of a town leaving the school district.
At the board's next meeting on April 8, Barrett M. Christina, staff attorney with the New Hampshire School Board Association, will address the potential withdrawal of a town from a school district, Migliore said.
The boards of selectmen in all district towns — Bristol, Danbury, Alexandria, Bridgewater, New Hampton, Hebron — have been invited to next week's meeting.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UNH math professor earns prestigious MacArthur Fellowship - 0
- School emergency notification system to launch in Londonderry - 0
- New Nashua computer curriculum stresses exam, lifetime skills - 0
- Manchester teachers to hold 2nd contract vote following voting hours complaints - 23
- Alton educator selected as NH Teacher of the Year - 0
- USNH: Restore funding and we'll freeze tuition - 5
- Manchester, Hooksett will resume schools conversation - 2
- River Valley Community College planning for new president's inauguration - 0
- Singing a nationwide national anthem at St. Anselm College in Manchester - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Kuster, Shea-Porter split on vote to arm Syrian rebels - 0
- Man arrested in White Park stabbing in Concord - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition at Maine hospital following crash on Route 125 in Rochester - 0
- Rochester 10-year-old, grandmother escape fire in home with no smoke detectors - 0
- Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too - 3
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Modified tour is shortened - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Pats wary of veteran playmaker Woodson - 0
- College Football: Expect offense when Richmond, UNH meet - 0
Keene man charged with assault on 2-year-old
Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding?
Every vote counts: Here is the proof
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Havenstein says Christie backing a 'boost'