Officials warn of dangers on the thinning ice
Like many other lakes in the area, the ice on Milton Three Ponds, especially near the shore and along the route of the Salmon Falls River, is disappearing in the warm spring sunshine. (JOHN QUINN/photo)
That's the message from firefighters planning to conduct ice rescue training this week.
Rochester Fire Capt. Joe Burns said he hopes the training plunge into the Cocheco River will be the only time firefighters have to don cold water suits this year.
"We don't recommend anyone going out on the ice right now," Burns said.
Milton Fire Chief Nick Marique said parts of Milton Three Ponds are ice-free, especially along the Salmon Falls River.
"It's spring now, so it's not safe," Marique said.
Dover Fire Capt. Paul Haas said ice should be at least four inches thick for people to walk on it safely.
Lee Fire Capt. Scott Newett said firefighters are keeping a close eye on Wheelwright Pond, along Route 152, even though he hasn't seen anyone on the ice in the past week.
In the best of circumstances, Northwood Fire Lt. David Wakeman said it takes about a dozen firefighters to rescue a person who breaks through the ice. People sometimes get into trouble trying to rescue animals, he said.
"We go out for animals more often than people," Wakeman said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Shawn Colvin heads to Flying Monkey - 0
- Northeastern Ballet Theatre bring Snow White to Wolfeboro - 0
- Foundation of Frank Lloyd Wright's life, architecture examined - 0
- Rani Arbo and Daisy Mayhem to play Grand View Inn in Jaffrey - 0
- Rowe's Lane Quartet to open chamber series - 0
- Travis Tritt to play the Hampton Beach Casino Ballroom - 0
- 'Stone Canvas' on display in Meredith - 0
- Rambling NE farmsteads subject of talk - 0
- Harpeth Rising will play the Shaskeen Pub - 0
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Salem drops $50 permit for Sunday sales
Win tickets to see Austin Mahone
Alanis Morissette to play Casino Ballroom
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax
Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing?
Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release