Mar 12, 2014
Mar 5, 2014
Feb 26, 2014
Feb 19, 2014
Nashua man sentenced for trading cigs for sex with 14-year-old
Judge Jacalyn Colburn said 81-year-old Paul Caya should serve the time at home rather than state prison because of his age.
Prosecutor Dave Tencza had previously said that the Hillsborough County Attorney's Office would recommend a sentence of 3½ to seven years in prison after learning last month that Caya would plead guilty.
The sentence stems from 2011 charges that the then-79-year-old Caya had traded drugs and cigarettes with a 14-year-old girl for sex.
Because he pleaded guilty, his now 16-year-old victim was spared having to testify.
Tencza said that it's possible the victim will still have to testify against Ashley Xiggores, Caya's alleged partner in crime.
Xiggores faces seven counts of criminal liability to another for felonious sexual assault and one count of criminal solicitation to prostitution for allegedly facilitating Caya's sexual activity with the victim.
Xiggores' trial was scheduled to begin this week, but it was postponed.
As part of his sentence, Karrine Brobst, the special assistant Hillsborough Country attorney, said Caya would also have to undergo a sexual offender evaluation, which will be administered by the Department of Corrections.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Was a crime committed? Nashua police are not certain - 0
- Man arrested in Nashua market robbery - 0
- Fugitive of the week arrested in Maine - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: City woman connected to fatal crash in court again - 0
- UPDATED: Rochester man shot multiple times as police attempted arrest - 0
- Bedford man sentenced for lobster trap thefts - 0
- Manchester police recover $2,000 worth of painkillers in drug arrest - 2
- UPDATE: Hudson police standoff ends; person in custody - 0
- Manchester man who defrauded banks in mortgage foreclosure scheme gets 6 years - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- No dice: House kills casino gambling bill - 0
- Poetry Out Loud championship rescheduled due to storm - 0
- Portsmouth buildings evacuated for reported gas leak - 0
- Mass. man dies in Chesterfield crash - 0
- Manchester collision results in pedestrian's death - 0
- SCORE workshop offers social media tips - 0
- Sens. Shaheen, Ayotte slam latest push for online sales tax - 4
- Bedford girls basketball team spreads the scoring wealth - 0
- New Hampshire high school athletes on the run (and jumping) in NYC - 0
SCORE workshop offers social media tips
Minimum wages: Maximum spin
Hooksett votes down Pinkerton schools deal