All Sections
action:article | category:NEWS03 | adString:NEWS03 | zoneID:67
Welcome guest, you have 2 views left. | Register | Sign In

Trial delayed for Dover man facing drug, rape charges

BRENTWOOD - A Dover man set to go on trial in three weeks was given more time to challenge the state's evidence that allegedly shows he drugged three women in Portsmouth and sexually assaulted one of them in July of last year.

Aaron Bonds, 43, will now go on trial the week of June 3 on charges of aggravated felonious sexual assault and dispensing a substance represented to be a controlled drug.

On the night of July 11, 2012, Bonds allegedly met two of the women at a Portsmouth restaurant, providing them with what they believed was cocaine.

They then joined a third woman at a Portsmouth apartment, where Bonds allegedly raped a 26-year-old woman while she was under the influence of an unknown drug and unable to speak or resist, according to prosecutors.

All three women snorted the drug, and became nauseous and unable to move, according to Assistant County Attorney Brad Bolton.

Bonds may use the delay of his trial to argue that new DNA results that prosecutors recently obtained should not be seen by a jury.

Defense lawyer Brian Lavallee acknowledged in court papers that his client recently provided a DNA sample to the state and has been made aware of the results.

Lavallee did not reveal the results of the test, but suggested to a judge that it may be challenged, along with other evidence, prior to trial.

"Additional time is necessary for (Bonds) to fully and completely prepare for trial," Lavallee said in court papers.

Bonds, "is now in a position to formulate a specific, concrete defense strategy for trial," Lavallee said in court papers.

"It goes without saying that the strategy and/or tactical decision of counsel would differ depending upon whether the cases were joined or severed for trial," Lavallee continued in court papers.

Judge N. William Delker decided the defense should also have more time to fully prepare in the wake of his recent decision that Bonds will face one trial, instead of three.

Prosecutors had asked to consolidate all the charges into one trial because much of the evidence and witness testimony would be the same.

Bonds, a convicted sex offender, is being held at the Rockingham County jail. He was convicted of sexual assault in 2003.

Bonds could face up to 20 to 40 years in state prison on each of the three sexual assault charges if he is convicted by a jury.

action:article | category:NEWS03 | adString:NEWS03 | zoneID:88
action:article | category:NEWS03 | adString:NEWS03 | zoneID:64
action:article | category:NEWS03 | adString:NEWS03 | zoneID:2
action:article | category:NEWS03 | adString:NEWS03 | zoneID:


Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

More Crime

NH Angle - Crime