Home » Opinion » Editorials
Treat dispensers: Obama and the Easter Bunny
The Eastery Bunny and President Obama have a lot in common. Both are dressed up characters with a mythology to sell. One plays a creature with magical powers who hops all over the world to deliver sweet treats, free of charge, to everyone who believes in him. The other is a low-wage dude in a rabbit costume.
President Obama thrives on his own myth: that the United States suffers from a shortage of goodies dispensed personally by him. He promises to rectify that by borrowing trillions of dollars to finance his egg-dispensing. Infrastructure funding here, college subsidies there, scientific research over there, with loads of new regulations to fertilize the seeds, and soon, like tulips in spring - bing! - the economy will shoot back to life.
He's put that magical thinking into practice for five years. It has not worked. And yet people still believe him, just as children believe in the Easter Bunny. Eventually, though, children grow up. What's the Obama voter's excuse?
READER COMMENTS: 0
- U.S. says Islamic State video of journalist's killing is authentic - 0
- No paper on Monday; check UnionLeader.com for updated, breaking news - 0
- Concord attorney Leahy dies - 0
- Robin Williams’ ashes are scattered in San Francisco Bay - 0
- Syracuse, Iowa crowned top party schools - 0
- Parking fines cause disputes, raise revenues - 1
- Jon Cavaiani dies at 70; desperate stand in '71 led to Medal of Honor - 0
- Meriam Ibrahim, family welcomed as long journey ends in Manchester - 2
- Moose International files suit to claim Claremont lodge - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 0
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
- Trashed lunches: Brownies, broccoli and bucks - 6
- Hampstead's Suess ready for Whelen Modified race - 0
- College Football: Big Green kick off season vs. Cent. Connecticut - 0
- Son says shooting of mom during DEA raid was a mistake - 10
Supporters eager for Hillary's return to NH
Ayotte pushes bill to combat 'spice'
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over