Home » Opinion » Editorials
Gov. Hassan's Attorney General: Why Joe Foster?
Foster is a successful and well-respected attorney for the McLane law firm, which bills itself as the state's largest (and best-connected) firm. But the resume that would open many doors for Foster should he seek employment at a bigger firm out of state poses some problems for him as an attorney general nominee.
Most obviously, Foster has no experience as a criminal prosecutor. His career specialty is bankruptcy law. That would be pretty good experience for the governor these days. But the attorney general is the state's top law enforcement officer. As such, he is in charge of investigating police shootings and prosecuting all homicides. Gov. Hassan wants to entrust all state homicide prosecutions to an attorney who has never prosecuted a pickpocket.
And as a business lawyer with numerous high-profile clients, who comes from a huge law firm with many more high-profile clients, Foster is likely to have to recuse himself from many, many cases to avoid the appearance of a conflict of interest.
None of this is to suggest that Foster is not a highly capable attorney. It is just that his selection makes one wonder whether Gov. Hassan is after the best possible attorney general or the closest political ally.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Emergency preparedness class offered for churches - 0
- Music minister Grinnell leaving First Congregational Church - 0
- Bishop makes changes to Diocesan leadership structure - 0
- Meriam Yehya Ibrahim, children being held again in Sudan - 0
- Colebrook shrine known for 'Blessing of the Bikes' closing July 1 - 1
- Reports say Sudan to release sister-in-law of NH man - 1
- Diocese of Manchester announces reassignment of priests - 0
- Manchester event at Sacred Heart Church - 0
- Bishop Libasci to visit La Salette shrine - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portsmouth teen accused in DWI crash waives hearing - 0
- Posting of recent standoff has Free Keene bloggers taking heat - 0
- Seeking to upend Hobby Lobby court ruling, federal legislation crafted - 0
- NH man sought in connection with Maine murder arrested on unrelated charges - 0
- Man accused of burglarizing state police barracks claims his rights were violated - 0
- Marriott's parents to face killer at his sentencing next month - 0
- Firefighters rescue five 'lucky ducks' in Londonderry - 0
- Abortion clinic buffer put on hold after court ruling - 1
- FairPoint union members to meet and talk strike - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Praising freedom: While curtailing it
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax