All Sections

Home | Public Safety

Two women seriously hurt in Epping crash

Union Leader Correspondent

April 05. 2013 1:03AM
Police and firefighters work at the scene of a serious two-car accident at the intersection of Route 125 and Old Nottingham Road in Epping Thursday. (Jason Schreiber)

EPPING - Epping fire and rescue personnel had some extra hands on duty Thursday when two women were seriously injured in a crash that occurred at the same time the fire department was conducting a training exercise with firefighters from other agencies.

Fire Chief Don DeAngelis said the two female drivers were trapped and had to be extricated from their cars before being flown by medical helicopters to Boston hospitals following the accident at the intersection of routes 125 and 87.

The crash was reported at 10:12 a.m. when firefighters from Concord, Exeter and Franklin were at the Epping fire station for a training class. They joined Epping fire and rescue personnel, along with an Exeter ambulance and Brentwood fire and rescue.

"We had a lot of paramedics in the class," DeAngelis said.

Police Capt. Jason Newman said a preliminary investigation showed that a 2010 Toyota Corolla driven by Megan Barnes, 23, of Epping, was traveling west on Route 87 and may have failed to yield to a 2010 Mazda 6 heading south on Route 125. Police identified the driver of the Mazda as Loretta Gynan, 26, of Nottingham.

Police are still investigating the cause of the accident, and at this point no charges have been filed, Newman said.

One of the women was airlifted from a landing zone at Epping High School, while the second was taken to Exeter Hospital and later flown to a Boston hospital.

Epping firefighter/paramedic Chuck Moorenovich said one of the drivers suffered a head injury, while the other suffered arm, chest and leg injuries.

Their conditions were not known Thursday night.

Both vehicles were totaled in the crash and towed from the scene.

The accident scene was cleared by 11:30 a.m.

Public Safety Epping

More Headlines

Dansereau gets prison for car chase