Home » News » Public Safety
Durham officers justified in shooting Lee man, AG says
Steven Amazeen was shot in the legs and shoulder after confronting police who were responding to a 911 call at his Lee Hook Road home on Dec. 3. Amazeen survived his injuries, and awaits trial in Strafford County Superior Court.
According to the report issued Wednesday by Delaney, Amazeen had just been told by his wife that she wanted a divorce. After firing a shot from his handgun inside their bedroom, he went outside, where he met up with police.
The report states that "when the officers encountered Mr. Amazeen on Lee Hook Road, he was armed with a deadly weapon, he made threats to use his gun on himself and the police, and he failed to comply with police commands to drop his gun and surrender as he moved aggressively toward police officers. Finally, Mr. Amazeen raised his arm and pointed his gun directly at one of the Durham officers."
The investigation determined that five cartridges were fired from Dalton's service weapon and four from Lavoie's. Amazeen's wounds included a bullet wound in his left thigh, crossing into his right thigh and lodging near his hip. The bullet was not removed during surgery. The bullet in his shoulder exited his back and was not located at the scene.
Police also located a bullet hole in the floor of the Amazeens' bedroom.
The report indicates "Amazeen begged for the police to shoot him and threatened several times to shoot the officers if they did not shoot him."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Weare Deputy Chief Sean Kelly set to manage Weare Police Department - 0
- Lizard in food sends 300 schoolchildren to hospital - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Communications giant chips in for generator for Derry FD - 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition after crash in Rochester - 0
- Manchester police officers to be honored for work in unresolved West Side stabbing death - 5
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sox down Orioles in 10 as Ortiz hits a pair - 0
- Portsmouth stuns Memorial - 0
- High School Sports Round-up - 0
- Milford stuffs Souhegan on final play - 0
- Efficient Bedford beats Winnacunnet - 0
- Ex-Connecticut governor guilty of violating federal campaign laws - 0
- GOP attempts to tie Shaheen to old criminal case - 0
- Salem man presented with Polish award - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge was local woman - 0
Sox down Orioles in 10 as Ortiz hits a pair
Portsmouth stuns Memorial
High School Sports Round-up
Manchester family heartbroken after finding lost kitten was adopted from shelter, family refuses to return it